Stevens - Too cheap?

Help Support CattleToday:

triple'S'

Reaction score
I am looking for a good rifle that doesn't break the bank. This won't be one of my hunting rifles that I take good care of. This will be my "truck gun" and will get scratched, mistreated, and probally dropped. I thought about getting a Savage 22 WMR because of the price and that is a really good caliber for out to about 150 yards (once you get a feel for it then you might hit some 200yard shots). But in my shopping, I came across the Stevens 200 model. This gun is made by savage, and is a no frills gun. It doesn't have the new accutrigger, but neither did any other gun 5 years ago, and its not a real "pretty" gun. I can get the centerfire 22-250 for about the same money as the rimfire .22mag. All the reviews I can find say they are pleased with it. Anybody have any experience. All I want is a accurate, reliable gun, for good money. My little .22 "truck gun" isn't cutting it anymore.

My only experience with Stevens was my first gun. It's a 20 ga. single shot. I say it is because I got it 48 years ago and my cousins grandkid has it now and it's still tight and safe to shoot.Z

MillIronQH":27hu370n said:
My only experience with Stevens was my first gun. It's a 20 ga. single shot. I say it is because I got it 48 years ago and my cousins grandkid has it now and it's still tight and safe to shoot.Z

I'm in the same boat. I have a bunch of Stevens but the newest one is a model 44 1/2.

dun

Several of the Stevens centerfires have been sold around here an i haven,t heard of any complaints.
My first Stevens was a model 94c single barrel in 410. My dad got it for me when i was 9 years old.That was 51 years ago. Its still in great shape an i still hunt squirrels with it.

Don't let the price fool you. $ for $ Savage / Stevens guns are probably the best thing going. They are known to be as accurate or more accurate out of the box than guns that cost much much more. They are also a good base for a custom gun, Timney triggers, Mcmillan stocks,etc.

TAMARACKREG":12uxkc7j said:
Don't let the price fool you. $ for $ Savage / Stevens guns are probably the best thing going. They are known to be as accurate or more accurate out of the box than guns that cost much much more. They are also a good base for a custom gun, Timney triggers, Mcmillan stocks,etc.

I can see it now... the $200 truck gun turns into a $4000 match rifle :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can get the centerfire 22-250 for about the same money as the rimfire .22mag.

What about a 25-06? Yea, I'm prejudice. At 500 yards you can drop a coyote or a hog.Z

MillIronQH, TAMARACKREG is correct the Savage rifles are great rifles can't say much for the Stevens other than they're a low end Savage. Savage has one of the strongest actions on the market. They're very, very accurate factory stock rifles. When savage made it's comback in the early to mid 90's the trigger was the worst, but there were after market triggers slowy coming into production. The other turn off to rifle buyers is the lock nut for the barrel, but this is to advantage over other makers, because if you buy a the lock nut wrench and the headspace gage you now have a switch barrel rifle. I own two Savage rifles and a Remington. Both Savages will out shoot the Remington.

The thing you need to decide on is what do you want the rifle to do. If you want to shoot pest, small game and big game up to deer size then you need a caliber that will get the job done. The .243 win, 308 win and the 7mm-08 will handle black bear and the ammo is fairley cheap. You have to check your state's regulations for the miniuim caliber allowed to take big game. Buy a Savage you won't be wasting your money.

You don't have to sell me on Stevens/Savage guns. I a member of the choir. I was poking fun at Tamarackreg about the custom triggers etc. :D Z

I'm sorry it was ment for Triple S. Savages are great riles infact I'm looking for a used savage in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win MAg with the accu trigger, I'm going to build a custom long range gun for sniper shoots and Elk hunting.