Stetson Hats

Help Support CattleToday:

That's kinda neat; and interesting.

I used to have a Stetson, grey one, loved it! Had for many years. Don't have it anymore though. :(

Katherine

My husband used to have one. Probably cost him a week's pay at that time. He left it laying around and my dog shredded it. It was not a happy day at our house....

While he was famous for his hats Mr. J.B Stetson was a big philanthropist too and he helped found the college my son attends.

I've got an old 10X Beaver Stetson that I haven;t worn in 40 years. I wore it fighting brush fires and a borate bomber hit us dead center. A silver/gray hat just doesn;t look very good with red splotches all over it, but I can;t bring myself to throw it away.

If I leave the house, I have on a hat. I usually go through 2 straw hats in the summer, and one felt hat in the winter. I retire my good felt hat in the spring, moving it down to my winter work hat the next winter,and buy a new going places hat the next fall. After watching that video, I'm left to wonder why the heck are they charging me so much for a custom hat. It looks like all hats have the same amount of labor. The biggest out of the box hat I have ever found is 7 5/8. My head is a little bigger than that. I find it hard to believe that my hat has that much more beaver fur in it.

I have sent felt hats out to be reworked. They are like a shalacked dish rag when they come back. I have had Stetson, Atwood, and serateli. Resistol as far as I know doesn't make a hat larger than a 7 5/8. The serateli wears the best, as long as you get up in the 10x range. There 6x is like a child's play hat.

Does anybody out there have a connection for a custom hat? What I spend on hats amounts to a small fortune. I hardly ever wear a baseball hat. When I do I cut the straps off the back, and just take the ribbing from everybody.

Bigfoot":3orc4x4k said:
If I leave the house, I have on a hat. I usually go through 2 straw hats in the summer, and one felt hat in the winter. I retire my good felt hat in the spring, moving it down to my winter work hat the next winter,and buy a new going places hat the next fall. After watching that video, I'm left to wonder why the heck are they charging me so much for a custom hat. It looks like all hats have the same amount of labor. The biggest out of the box hat I have ever found is 7 5/8. My head is a little bigger than that. I find it hard to believe that my hat has that much more beaver fur in it.

I have sent felt hats out to be reworked. They are like a shalacked dish rag when they come back. I have had Stetson, Atwood, and serateli. Resistol as far as I know doesn't make a hat larger than a 7 5/8. The serateli wears the best, as long as you get up in the 10x range. There 6x is like a child's play hat.

Does anybody out there have a connection for a custom hat? What I spend on hats amounts to a small fortune. I hardly ever wear a baseball hat. When I do I cut the straps off the back, and just take the ribbing from everybody.

http://www.westernbootsales.com/proddetail.asp?prod=10X

Dewayne Fair owns K bar F hatters in sallisaw, OK. Hes a nice guy and builds a good hat. He made me a 100X that I've had for 6 or 7 years. His website is http://www.beavercowboyhats.com, for the money hes the best deal I know of.
Shortys Cowboy Hattery in OKC, OK makes a good hat but are higher priced. I have a 20X I bought there about 11 years ago when I was cowboying full-time. It still looks good after brushing the dirt off.
If you wear a hat much the factory hats are a waste of money, in my opinion.

Thanks cross. I may be mistaken, but I believe that is a serateli. They make hats, and put a lot of different names on them. There 10 x is about the quality of a 4x anywhere else. It wears really good, and holds its shape. It's just expensive for what your getting. That's currently the hat I'm buying.

Bigfoot":ubqtkuh7 said:
Thanks cross. I may be mistaken, but I believe that is a serateli. They make hats, and put a lot of different names on them. There 10 x is about the quality of a 4x anywhere else. It wears really good, and holds its shape. It's just expensive for what your getting. That's currently the hat I'm buying.

they also have resistol in a 7-3/4

Bigfoot":mr798zr1 said:
The serateli wears the best, as long as you get up in the 10x range.
They better when ya consider the price tag on 'em. They don't exactly give those things away..

That's a good link cross. I'll be checking that out for a while. Heaths link looks like a lot of hat for the money. I have only had one hat that was not a factory hat. The guy was getting bodies from somewhere else. The hat didn't amount to much. It kinda made me gunshy about custom hats. I'll step out on faith with that link of heaths. It's hard to shop for a hat online. It's really something you need to hold.

Greybeard, hats are outrageous.

greybeard":1isg2ubr said:
Bigfoot":1isg2ubr said:
They better when ya consider the price tag on 'em. They don't exactly give those things away..
My work hats are 10x Serateli. I agree they wear the best. I discovered that Cavenders brand hats are actually Serateli. They have sales on em for much cheaper than the actual Serateli brand. The one I currently have has been the best. It's on it's 3rd year, and though it doesn't look great, it still gets the job done and it's been through heII and back.

Isomade":2wmrhmin said:
greybeard":2wmrhmin said:
Bigfoot":2wmrhmin said:
My work hats are 10x Serateli. I agree they wear the best. I discovered that Cavenders brand hats are actually Serateli. They have sales on em for much cheaper than the actual Serateli brand. The one I currently have has been the best. It's on it's 3rd year, and though it doesn't look great, it still gets the job done and it's been through heII and back.

I went to cavenders to buy a resistol and they didn't have what I wanted in a resistol but they did have a cavenders "silver star" and the sales guy told me resistol made those for cavanders

They may have changed their contract to Resistol. The last one I bought was 3 years ago and I called corporate to verify who made their hat.

cross_7":39nr71fw said:
he lied !!!
Just read where they are "This exclusive line of hats, made by Serratelli®"
Who'd a thunk you couldn't rely on a guy making $7/hour to be a reliable hat expert. :lol:

Isomade":1r80m5cn said:
greybeard":1r80m5cn said:
Bigfoot":1r80m5cn said:
I don't know if Baskins is a national outfit or not, but they carry Resistol, Seratelli and Stetson--or did the last time I was in the Livingston Texas store.
Just looked--Only in Texas and La, and their website doesn't mention Seratelli, but I know the Livingston store sells them.
http://baskins.com/

As far as off thecshelf hats go, American Hat Co is about the only one I ever thought much of. They are the same as the other ones when it comes to how they grade their hats. Their X is. 5%, so a 10X is only 5% beaver, while good custom hatters 10X is still 10% beaver.