steer sires calves

Help Support CattleToday:

longhornlover3498

Reaction score
we had a longhorn/blk max cross steer in a 5 acre pasture with 3 angus heifers since last august. the heifers were 15 months old and we were getting ready to put them with the bull next month. the only bull(s) we have had on the ranch are homozygous black. the heifers are registered and haven't had any contact with the other cattle except the meat steer. then out of now where 2 of the heifers had spotted calves!!! :eek: i am very surprised becaused that steer we cut our selves. he was going to be slaughtered this fall. i need help. there is no way our other bulls could've sired those calves.

Immaculate conception strikes again. Probably thousands of times a year across the country.
Wonder if the ghost bull has decent epd's

If they're fifteen months old now and have full term calves then they got bred about the time they were getting weaned.

cow pollinater":2dlavx1n said:
If they're fifteen months old now and have full term calves then they got bred about the time they were getting weaned.

When you cut the steer, I assume, you counted two. My next thought is how many months was the steer with the heifers? Nine or ten or more? Where they bred already when you bought them?

Alan

longhornlover3498":3b1fwwnr said:
we had a longhorn/blk max cross steer in a 5 acre pasture with 3 angus heifers since last august. the heifers were 15 months old and we were getting ready to put them with the bull next month. the only bull(s) we have had on the ranch are homozygous black. the heifers are registered and haven't had any contact with the other cattle except the meat steer. then out of now where 2 of the heifers had spotted calves!!! :eek: i am very surprised becaused that steer we cut our selves. he was going to be slaughtered this fall. i need help. there is no way our other bulls could've sired those calves.

I take it they're heifers you brought in. You mentioned on Cornivore's post you had a 17 month heifer calf also. I'd try and get a handle on the circumstances as your luck may take a turn.

fitz

If I remember correctly in other post, she sells crossbred longhorn bull calves to the sale barn when they are a year old or so?

cow pollinater":2if4th3a said:
the guy we bought them from raises reg. black angus. the only other cattle near his place are red.
Taurus":2if4th3a said:
If I remember correctly in other post, she sells crossbred longhorn bull calves to the sale barn when they are a year old or so?
if you payed attention to my post i wrote that they were put with the steer since we got them and had no contact with our other cattle. our bulls were 5 or 6 pastures away from them and we made it so that they couldn't get out.

Tim/South":3n7tolau said:
How long had the steer been cut before he was put in with the heifers?
They can breed for @ 7 days after being cut.
Found that out by accident.
3 months. his mother died when he was 2 months so he was a bottle calf. he stayed in our corral til he was six months,then we put him with our other 2 spotted steers. they sold very quickly so he was by himself for a month or so. we bought the heifers with our steer money. we are planning to get the calves DNA'ed next week. if they are his...he is gonna be meat immediately.

I still am not clear on the timing. If the heifers are 15-16 months now and calving, they were likely bred before they were weaned. So the culprit in that case is most likely another calf, an ambitious bull calf.

the third heifer,sally,just had a red/white heifer this morning,the other two,donna and coco both had bull calves. heifers are january calves. we bought them 3 weeks after being weaned. the results are supposed to come in tomarrow,for the time being meat is in a corral by himself.will let you guys know what they come back as.

OMG! My grandfather just told me that the results came back positive...the steer sired the calves. looks like meat is the maincourse this fathersday weekend... :shock:

Taurus":33caf2by said:
well you have colored calves....and you have longhorns which are colored. Shouldn't be that hard to figure that one out.
what i was trying to figure out was if he had sired them and if so how? meatball has a date with the butcher tomarrow at 11:30...

Is a 3 day turnaround on a DNA test normal in your part of the world?
My local lab can't/won't return results in less than four weeks.

Now that is funny, hooknline! So, how many nuts on a 3 pecker billy goat? Sorry, I got cought up in this topic, and the previous one. It want happen again, ... maybe.

Latest posts