steer mounting

Help Support CattleToday:

DeerHntr952

Reaction score
Hello I have a 5 month Holstein steer that recently started mounting. He tries to mount people and other steer. I have never ran into this problem so I was wondering if anybody had any tips on stopping this, thanks in Advance!

DeerHntr952":29oixsw6 said:
Hello I have a 5 month Holstein steer that recently started mounting. He tries to mount people and other steer. I have never ran into this problem so I was wondering if anybody had any tips on stopping this, thanks in Advance!

:welcome: I have not had that problem but I am sure it's nothing a .223 behind the ear can't fix :) Some others will probably chime in with some good advice.

Mounting another steer is normal bovine behavior. Mounting people is another matter all together. A 2" diameter piece of schedule 40 pvc pipe across the head when he tries to mount a human should educate him. That is a serious situation when he gets bigger.

HOSS":36lmjefw said:
Mounting another steer is normal bovine behavior. Mounting people is another matter all together. A 2" diameter piece of schedule 40 pvc pipe across the head when he tries to mount a human should educate him. That is a serious situation when he gets bigger.

Very true. a 500lb animal jumping on a kid woman or even a man is a mess waiting to happen.

He is a steer I banded him myself and both testicles were under the band and I've been using a piece of PVC pipe I use in the milking parlor to try and persuade him to stop he is getting better but I was just seeing if there was a better way than mine thanks again guys!

skyhightree1":y9sfcrtb said:
DeerHntr952":y9sfcrtb said:

:welcome: I have not had that problem but I am sure it's nothing a .223 behind the ear can't fix :) Some others will probably chime in with some good advice.
I was thinking the same thing! :lol: but he is a show steer the main reason Why I want to break this habit

I agree....
first make darn sure he is a steer....if not problems will get markedly worse.....
second his mounting sounds like a dominance issue....he needs to know he can not dominate you.

I would get a real good hotshot and light him up every time he thinks about jumping on me. You might try putting him in with some bigger steers or bulls that will put him in his place. He is try to be the alpha and needs to be shown he is not the boss. Good luck with him hope it goes ok.

I've had heifers try it as yearlings,.. Usually there'll be a telltale of them resting their chin on whatever they're thinking of jumping, that's the time to give them the tune-up.. I use whatever is handy, which is usually my hand.. a good slap, a hotshot if you have it, a knee.

I was thinking if I had a real problem animal, to put a link between a hind leg and their halter, that would prevent them from being able to pretty well

Latest posts