steer?/heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl13

Reaction score
what are the pros and cons of showin a heifer and pros and cons of showin a steer? and im talkin beef cattle here in texas

Steers You Raise Until Market Time Then They Go Off Into Some One's Freezer
Heifers Can Be Kept As Replacements And Stay Around

This is my first year showing I choosed a heifer so I can have her around for a while also in my opionion why show a steer and take 1st then eat it you cant get its genetics but showing a steer has it pros to like selling at a good price per lbs. and Im sure it still is great to take 1st even showin a steer

cowgirl13":xajwmllf said:
what are the pros and cons of showin a heifer and pros and cons of showin a steer? and im talkin beef cattle here in texas

IMO Money is the major pros and con. if you can get a easy fleshing, hard doin, hefier then go with a hefier. she will eat about a 1/4 of what a steer will eat a day but look good. and her ration can not always but sometimes cost alot less.A Steer on the other hand is a good project if you what to show and then sell and not stay in the cow business the whole year. Plus u can either sell the meat to a sponser or the local meat locker or you can eat the steer. For example with Market goat if you show it all year then send it to market at the end of the year and your r done, but if you show a diary goat you have it 24/7 365. so it all depends on how much money your willing to spend, how much time ect.. Oh and one good thing about showing steers your dont have to worry about them going into heat, ect...hope that helped :D 8) 8)

so if i was just gonna have one and that was all wich would be better. money wise.

cowgirl13":3aj5j52o said:
so if i was just gonna have one and that was all wich would be better. money wise.

well do u mean year round or showseason only? year round hefier, Showseason only either one.. u might could ask your parents and see which they like better.. r u gonna be paying for all the feed??

cow_crazy_101":1gksqsj0 said:
cowgirl13":1gksqsj0 said:

well do u mean year round or showseason only? year round hefier, Showseason only either one.. u might could ask your parents and see which they like better.. r u gonna be paying for all the feed??

oh yes i have to buy the animal, feed,vet bill, etc.....all of it entry fees too what is easier to take care of and less feed less care etc... i kno u can show heifers for 2yrs. steers 1 then u have to sell em
which one also would u get more back on?

cowgirl13":2lobm2vl said:
cow_crazy_101":2lobm2vl said:
cowgirl13":2lobm2vl said:

oh yes i have to buy the animal, feed,vet bill, etc.....all of it entry fees too what is easier to take care of and less feed less care etc... i kno u can show heifers for 2yrs. steers 1 then u have to sell em
which one also would u get more back on?

Well i would say hefier than, u don't have to worry so much about them gaining weight, steer you what them to gain weight...... u can show commercial untill there milk teeth fall out and a reg. till it is 2. you show by it birth date.. how much r u gonna pay for a hefier? r u going reg. or com.?? Good luck, when you go to get it why don't u send in somw pictures before u buy it???

also what shows will you intend to do with your calf i know for me i only go to my county and their you only sell steers and that is the only way to make money so depending on where you plan to show can make a big difference

Money Wise

Heifer - Show Her A Year, Breed Her Sell The Calf Or Show Again As A Cow Calf Then Breed Again And Sell Bred Or Sell As A Pair or Just Sell The Calf What Ever You Want

Steer - Show For A Year, Then Sell

Steer Only Get Income Once
Heifer Can Get You Income As Many Years As You Want 1 - 12

Remember the feed and other bills but feed wont be that bad for one head or two

My reply from a couple of months ago concerning this same topic:

Show a Heifer
ADVANTAGES
Not quite as many jockies to have to deal with
Longer show career
You can build a herd if you so desire
Competition from top to bottom is usually better in the heifer shows
At the end of Show Time, if you have a quality Bred heifer, she is normally worth more than the purchase price.

DISADVANTAGES
A good heifer will eat just as much as a good steer.

That's the only one. The "In heat" thing is a non item. A heifer that is worked every day, will be just as calm during estrus as any other day of the month.

IMO, in Texas, and from a money stand point...

If you're planning to go to any major shows, go with a steer. You can buy one for a decent price, feed him out good, and show him at the major. If you make sale, you'll get a premium and most likely at least break even, and more likely profit. If you don't make sale, you can still put him on the truck and have a chance to break even or profit yet again...it all depends on what you pay for him.

Go heifer if you're planning on building your herd. It will take your heifer longer to make back the money that you've spent on her, as she will have to produce a few calves before she pays you back for her upkeep. You also get no money for showing in majors...only at some jackpots where they kick back a small amount of the entry fees to winners.

This is JMO.
Jay

cowgirl13":1xejbng7 said:

Have u chosen which yet?

approx.. cost for heifer/w feed and all (year round, show season) and the same wiht a steer im on a budget but still want a good enought to make some money off of . that can be majored

With my experience on showing, i have better luck training heifers then i do my steers. Heifers are easier to train then a steer.

Either way like someone else said, it takes some work. Don't expect to have the heifer or steer trained in a day, or a couple of weeks at that! It takes time.

Fair Wise,
I would go with a Steer, you make great money per pound at the fair auctions.
BUT
With a heifer you can show multible years, and sell/raise her offspring.

Latest posts