STDs

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Are there any tests that can be performed when doing a BSE for STDs?

Thanks

dun

I don't know about Lepto, but I believe Vibrio can also be tested for with a simple blood test. Although one hears more about Brucellosis in cows than in bulls, cows are tested by means of a blood draw, so why not bulls?

Does blood have to be drawn a couple of times for the Trich?

CSM

CSM":1xgk9pvb said:

CSM

No, they just take a swab from inside the sheath. Pretty simple test, and I don't think it takes long for the results to come back either.

Around here the length of time the Trich test takes depends on what time of year you are having it done. If it is right before or after breeding season it will take a while. It took about 3-4 weeks to get ours back.

I have heard that to be sure the bull is free of Trich you should do 3 tests on him. I don't remember the time length in between the tests though.

randiliana":2qph65r3 said:
CSM":2qph65r3 said:

CSM

No, they just take a swab from inside the sheath.

Not around here, they don't. It is a blood draw and test results are back in about 7-14 days.

It's a blood draw here in MT as well - took about a week - I think our vet sends the sample to Univ of Colorado ?

msscamp":29ws20u3 said:
I don't know about Lepto, but I believe Vibrio can also be tested for with a simple blood test. Although one hears more about Brucellosis in cows than in bulls, cows are tested by means of a blood draw, so why not bulls?
We recently sent a bull to Colorado and had to have a Bangs test done on him. Hopefully Texas will receive bangs free status by the end of the year.

Tod Dague":1u8g1e41 said:
msscamp":1u8g1e41 said:
We recently sent a bull to Colorado and had to have a Bangs test done on him. Hopefully Texas will receive bangs free status by the end of the year.

I hear ya - Wyoming lost her Bang's free status for a year or two, and it was a pain in the you-know-what to ship cattle out of state!

SD has a trich law. to sell or lease a used bull he must be tested 3 times, and atleast 7 days between test. they sent the test to SD state university.

Some guys had a wreck with trich this year in our area. A neighbour that runs several hundred cows has several ranches and brough a bull up from a distant ranch. This Bull tested the fences and got into a neighbours cow herd. They notice him in with their cows but thought he looked like a pretty nice bull and left him there until the owners finally sent the hired men to go get him. Well the next spring those people had 30 open cows as they were infected with trich. :shock: The owners of the bull had huge losses here and back at the other ranch.

Because I also had a travelling rodeo bull on my place and two resulting rodeo calves I tested my senoir bulls for trich ( just in case) They were clean. But it just goes to show how you have to keep on top of everything

Does keeping the cows up on vaccinations for the various STDs help?

dun":3lpsy1ij said:
Does keeping the cows up on vaccinations for the various STDs help?

There is no vaccination for Trich, that I know of. I believe that Vibrio and Lepto vaccinations are effective, and prevent the diseases. Bangs is another story, though. As I understand it, the Bang's vaccination does not guarantee that the animal will not contract Bang's - it is just a deterent.

The thing with Trich is that the vaccination does not prevent it. It is the treatment. BUT any cured healthy cow can also be a carrier. So they recommend shipping them all anyway.

I know it doens't make sense. :???:

Latest posts