Starting a bermuda hay field

Help Support CattleToday:

rowdyred

Reaction score
We've rented out about 30 acres to local farmer, he has planted cotton and soybeans on this land for about 20 years. he's not planting it next year (2017). I want to plant bermuda for hay. It's good fertile land but not irrigated. My thinking is, after he harvest, get soil sample. Here's my real question. After I get the bermuda started ( sprig or till it in), I probably want be able to cut enough hay to sell in first year. So, should I plant fescue that first year and get hay from that? then spray and kill it out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have a great Day!

I'm a total failure, at establishing bermuda, so take my advice, with a grain of salt. If you've got a fertile tilled bed to start from, that's the best place. Fescue seems to be what stops me from getting established.

Don't think that will work very well. I'd just bite the bullet and devote my time to establishing the bermuda because it doesn't need the competition - like Rajela said. Once sprigged I'd also spray the dirt with 2,4-D right after sprigging. When I followed a gurus advice to the letter I got three cutting of bermuda the first year. Granted the first two were light but the last was a good one. Keep it cut so it will run and spread and keep the weeds out of it.

I sprigged Tifton 85 a few years back .. waited 60 days and got 3 rolls to the acre .. unfortunately my rake pulled up all the runners and the coastal took over .. if I had to do it again id just bush hog it the first year..

Latest posts