Standing?

Help Support CattleToday:

tjmdo

Reaction score
Last night one of my cows was mounting other cows so we put an estrotect on her. I saw a small bull calf mount her and thought she stood. I saw one of my cows who I know is pregnant through a blood test mount her head only. Was going to breed her
This morning but the estrotect patch this morning has not been rubbed at all. By the way her vulva last night was small without discharge. When should I breed?

It sounds like you were observing her at the point in time when she was going out of estrus. When a cow is at the end of estrus behavior, they have already stood. Thus, no mark on the estrotect. Did her tail head show signs that she had been ridden? If so, I would have bred her this morning.

tjmdo":1bfozz6g said:
I didn't see any other signs. Not even yesterday.

I chalk my cows during breeding season. But even without chalk or patches, if a cow has engaged in estrus behavior, there are clear signs on the tail head area - rubbed and matted hair.

If you have no other observations from yesterday and her tail head is normal, your only options are to catch her in the coming cycle or put a straw in her and hope you get a positive result.

Probably would have used a straw this morning, too. The only thing different I would do, if she had already been bred on a previous cycle??, I'd "try" to deposit the semen inside the cervix, and not go all the way thru. Also found that if I can catch them lying down, seem to see any discharge easily then. Also check for any inflammation... sometimes it's just a flippin' guessing game on timing.

Thanks guys! Later this morning the bull calf was still hot on her trail. Also if she's mounting other cows with estrotects on will that cause a problem? I have another cow with the top of her patch rubbed clean alon the spine.

tjmdo":2hsjjqg2 said:
Thanks guys! Later this morning the bull calf was still hot on her trail. Also if she's mounting other cows with estrotects on will that cause a problem? I have another cow with the top of her patch rubbed clean alon the spine.

A bull calf is an excellent heat detector. Watch her today for "standing". Then breed her 6 to 8 hours after a stand. She will not cause any issues with other cows but it might rub their patches.

When a cow is coming into heat it can be confusing which one is coming in. Have to watch them a while to see who it is. The one coming in will ride others.

Well. I bred them both last night. They stood well in the chute. We shall see. Thanks guys!

tjmdo":37s0o4de said:
Well. I bred them both last night. They stood well in the chute. We shall see. Thanks guys!

Be sure to invoke the grace of the Bovine Goddess of Fertility. Works well for me.

Look up Hathor:

An Egyptian Goddess commonly depicted as a cow with horns in which is set a sun disk with Uraeus.

As mentioned, sometimes it's a guessing game. If you have one messing around, and you never see a heat, AND you miss her/ don't breed her, you can wait 7-10 days and Lutalyse her to bring her back into a heat.