STAMPEDE

Help Support CattleToday:

VAStocker

Reaction score
I've never had any problem with cattle becoming real spooky but over the past few weeks almost every morning I've found calves that have stampeded during the night in one case they had demolished a four board fence that was backed with panels these cattle are very use to humans being around and are always calm around the feed truck and bunks. I woke up the other night and heard the group in front of the house stampeding across the pasture I got my spot light and went out but found nothing. The groups have all been in herds of 40-60 head and are 400-500 # calves. Coyotes are starting to show up in our area now and a few hunters have killed some near the farm but I had no idea they would mess with this size animal.

If there is a large enough pack they will cause them to stampede.
If you have a local Federal trapper in your area give them a call, if you do not know who they might be call the game warden. You can also post a request for coyote hunters at the local sporting goods store. Might surprise you. Have you thought about sitting out there at night now that there is a full moon? Could be a cat too, aka puma or mountain lion.

Had a simular problem years ago, but it was a wolf.

I had a little trouble with dogs. Seems there was a small group of lapdogs that packed together and tried to show the cows how tough they were. Seems they used to enjoy running the cows till they met me one afternoon.

Mine will run around and kick up their heels when they come down off a rock hill or mountain (especially if it was a cold night and it is warming in the morning OR when they are been followed or chased by something - dogs usually. Keep a gun loaded.

Most anything can spook a bunch of calves from time to time, especially after dark. It doesn't happen very often here, but I think the last time was when a flock of turkeys busted at close range. That even gets me sometimes. Had a neighbor with a barn right in a curve. He finally tore it down after putting the boxing back on umpteen times. Headlights flickering through the cracks in the boxing was all we could figure.

dyates":3br9up6o said:
Most anything can spook a bunch of calves from time to time, especially after dark. It doesn't happen very often here, but I think the last time was when a flock of turkeys busted at close range. That even gets me sometimes. Had a neighbor with a barn right in a curve. He finally tore it down after putting the boxing back on umpteen times. Headlights flickering through the cracks in the boxing was all we could figure.
Ditto
They are like kids being away from home for the first time.
But since you have never had the problem before as others have stated I would suspect dogs or coyotes. Thy could be just coming a bit to close. Look around for tracks.

I doubt if it is coyotes because they stay with cow and calves from birth to eat pop. Bears will scare my critters worse than dogs. If you see the bush on the tail being pulled out it will be dogs. Being young it doesn't take much to spook them.

I would watch the leader, the one the others follow. That one may need wheels.

Mine have been stampeding me every day as I head out to the feed trough.... :D

But seriously, something is probably scaring them or you just might have one idiot in the bunch. Do you have a jackass or two with them or perhaps a livestock guardian dog? That, along with a little lead dog good has solved my problems.

Latest posts