Square's.vs.Roll's

Help Support CattleToday:

rattler

Reaction score
The last few year's we have been mostly feed rolled hay and a few small square's and have noiticed a lot less wast from the square bale's so this year we are planning on feeding a lot more small square's then roll's.I know the roll's are easyer to deal with than square but if it save's some money then that is what i will do.As time's get harder seem's like if you can find a way th trim the fat and increase the profit for me it is worth a try.I know square hay ain't worth it for the folk's that have realy big heard's but in my case i think it will be worth the extra time and work.

rattler

Rattler, my wife and I feed the horses small squares through the winter and the cattle get round bales. There is more waste when feeding round bales because they pull hay off and when it falls on the ground the cattle won't clean it up. We also small square for replacement heifers and for any cows that may be up by the barn during the winter. Like you said it really depends on the size of the herd and how much time you have to feed. Around here it gets dark about 5 in the winter and I don't care to be in the cattle lot trying to feed hungry cows in the dark.

I just think it's easyer when you have 250 plus head to feed round bales because it goes faster even cuting the string or rap off the hay. I like feeding the 1000lb square bales off the back of the Dodge truck because I feel you get to see the cattle better and look for problems. But win its frozen out and raining plus the wind is blowing the faster you can get hay to the girl the better.I used lil bale the 75lb ones for my show calves. But if you have a lot to let them out win its cold an pretty it helps hair grow. ;-)

I believe the cattle like small squares much more than rolled hay generally - baled from the same windrow - but the question you are asking has so many variables depending on your operation.

Do you own the hay or have equipment? Good custom folks around?

Generally small squares are pricier to produce so you gotta make it up in reduced waste.

I love em. I put up a thousand on Saturday. Thought my life might end at 50 a couple times but we got er done! Now they are there , dry, sweet and green in the barn. Great feeling.

I like in the winter going out and knowing almost to the bale how much the girls will need. Just a green tinge left in the snow, no straws in sight.

But if you are looking at cost savings, we need to know more about what your situation is. You buying or growing your own and what do you have equip wise right now.

Off to pick up some stray bales the silly wagon didn't catch and make some bedding bales from some less desireable hay.
( I especially like the versatility ).

ALX

Whatever works for the individual.

Around here we feed horses and cows round bales. If it needs a square bale it finds a new home or dies.

I am too old, tired, lazy and weak to consider throwing a square bale. Other than about 50 held on hand for emergencies - and those are delivered in. I think I still have 45 left over from last year.

We buy no bedding and would not even remotely consider putting straw down for the animals. Any waste hay gets slept on. Seems to actually be cheaper for us this way.

We have not bought any bedding for years now.

And because of this, I for sure do not know how to clean a barn or a pen anymore.

Go away for a week and throw 20 - 30 round bales out in the field - forget about the cows.

We do not even worry about water most of the time - I know the pros and cons but ours lick snow most of the time. I resent putting a heater in the trough at a buck fifty a day - or more now - and we used to run four troughs. Heating water for six months adds up fast.

They manage to fend - this is a common discussion - pages upon pages in the "search" function.

Seems our cattle do better now than when we pampered them.

Less time and effort I spend with the animals the more money I put in my pocket.

Regards

Bez>

Price per ton, including waste, will be lower with big rounds than with small squares. Depending on how you count labor and machinery and how hard you are willing to work.

ALX We do have some of oue own equipment and yes i have a good freind who does the rolling for me (i cut and rake) the square baler is gettin some age on her but still work's fair.This year our hay was thin so i have bought some hay too.Bez> we don't put bedding down but our winter's aren't as harsh as your's here the biggest snow we had all winter was maby 4 inche's.we will proubly try to keep a few roll's on hand.Just kicking around a few idea's to see if we can improve on a few area's.Thank.s for the input we do appericate it.

rattler

rattler":37i46fli said:
This year our hay was thin so i have bought some hay too.
rattler

We now have both round and square capability, small scale, and I wish to goodness we had our square baler when we went through drought.( 2005 )

Bez ya old phart - you can do 10 times more than you think you can and you are only as old as you think you are!!
:lol:

Do none of you not get a kick out of 18 year old help faking heat stroke to get out of the mow while you finish the load??? :lol:

Like Bez said, up to the individual and their situation.

So tonight a neighbour saw me baling that last low quality windrow, decided to come hop on the wagon to stack. his friend came by, and they all started drinking my beer when done!! This is where it can cost you rattler! :lol:

ALX

Bez>":me53qu1h said:
Whatever works for the individual.

Around here we feed horses and cows round bales. If it needs a square bale it finds a new home or dies.

I am too old, tired, lazy and weak to consider throwing a square bale. Other than about 50 held on hand for emergencies - and those are delivered in. I think I still have 45 left over from last year.

We buy no bedding and would not even remotely consider putting straw down for the animals. Any waste hay gets slept on. Seems to actually be cheaper for us this way.

We have not bought any bedding for years now.

And because of this, I for sure do not know how to clean a barn or a pen anymore.

Go away for a week and throw 20 - 30 round bales out in the field - forget about the cows.

We do not even worry about water most of the time - I know the pros and cons but ours lick snow most of the time. I resent putting a heater in the trough at a buck fifty a day - or more now - and we used to run four troughs. Heating water for six months adds up fast.

They manage to fend - this is a common discussion - pages upon pages in the "search" function.

Seems our cattle do better now than when we pampered them.

Less time and effort I spend with the animals the more money I put in my pocket.

Regards

Bez>

Man I agree with less time and more money, if I could just figure out how to do away with hay.
I hate hay.

I am actually putting a pencil to feed versus hay cost with the price of fuel and equipment upkeep.

I have a small operation but I can do both round and small square bales.

I prefer to feed the small squares because it is less waste for me.
Trouble is the small squares take much more labor to put up and I've been having trouble finding enough help this year.
The cows waste a lot more of my round bales but I have no labor problems when I'm doing round bales.

As was already mentioned it just depends on your operation and how much hay you can afford to waste vs finding good help.

Caustic Burno":2pr4chfc said:
I am actually putting a pencil to feed versus hay cost with the price of fuel and equipment upkeep.

There are some years we can buy alfalfa pellets up here for less than hay costs, even when I pencilled in that I make my own hay. Unfortunately, it doesn't always hold true.

On the waste issue with rounds, if hay is tight (rare up here), you can gain the same benefit as square bales by cutting the twine on the round and feeding with a fork.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":2sjykcuw said:
Caustic Burno":2sjykcuw said:

There are some years we can buy alfalfa pellets up here for less than hay costs, even when I pencilled in that I make my own hay. Unfortunately, it doesn't always hold true.

On the waste issue with rounds, if hay is tight (rare up here), you can gain the same benefit as square bales by cutting the twine on the round and feeding with a fork.

Rod

Since going to the Caustic Burno influenced hay cradles, my waste with round bales has been cut drastically. I was using hay rings and after the bales got small the cows would push the rings over the hay and trample it. The elevated hay cradles result in very little waste. I have taken old trampoline frames and fabricated hay cradles from them.

backhoeboogie":lwebb6cj said:
Since going to the Caustic Burno influenced hay cradles, my waste with round bales has been cut drastically. I was using hay rings and after the bales got small the cows would push the rings over the hay and trample it. The elevated hay cradles result in very little waste. I have taken old trampoline frames and fabricated hay cradles from them.

I've used those hay savers for quite a few years now, and really like the results. I tried bale grazing last year, and it was tough see all the waste when I was used to seeing almost no waste from a hay saver. I don't think I had anymore waste from bale grazing as you'd see from your typical round bale ring. Those things are terrible.

Rod

When we feed square's we see a little waste but not as much as with the hay ring have never used the hay craddle only one i every saw was one that someone posted a pic on here.As far as feeding grain gluten is running $77.00 per thousand lb's hay is selling for $100 per thousand lb's.

rattler

DiamondSCattleCo":30au16xd said:

Rod

OH MAN! THANK YOU ROD! You cut the twine FIRST before using the fork !!

:lol: :lol:

ALX