Square baler question

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Anyone run a wire tie square baler?
Wire is outrageous.
Can regular ol 14 gauge electric fence wire work?

The reason I ask, this baler hasn't been used in years. Just want to see if the dang thing works.

IDK I guess it might.But you don't have to have wire in it to see if it works for the most part.
Also you can buy a little small roll of baling wire for a few bucks. 30 feet or so threaded through both sides. There you go

Gotta get a couple pins in the driveshaft free yet.
Idk why I'm so excited about it. It was a free baler. I figure some squares would be handy at certain times. Weaning, doctoring, etc...

The folks at the new holland place were NOT helpful. Lol

It might work. I have to drive an hour to get to a New Holland dealer, I've got along good with the one at Kingfisher, I've heard good things about central New Holland in the OKC area.

I'm planning on making a few square bales I'll have to find some where to get wire if I tie very many.

We have a JD 336 wire tie baler. I have used Red Brand electric wire through it. The twisters and cutter seem to do fine. Where I had problems is I put the spools on a pipe mounted over the box were the wire goes. It would "free wheel" every time the needles advanced to the a bale. What a tangled mess. I went back to regular baling wire in a box.
Wire around here is about $90 a box. The biggest thing is keeping the card board box dry and in good shape. Otherwise your coils won't feed right and you will have a 100lb $90 wad of wire to tie gates with.
The other thing is that a little baling wire is handy. 100 square bales gives you 200 loops of wire. Cows and raccoons have an uncanny ability to drag that stuff all over the place. You can't get rid of it.
We also have a New Holland 68 twine. The only thing I use the wire for is straw. It has to last more than a year in the barn and the mice can't chew the wires.
Good Luck!

callmefence said:
If it wasn't for those loops of wire how would folks in Oklahoma lock their gates? :D

Back in the 70-80's every hog guy in the Midwest had a hand full of baling wire on every truck and tractor. Vice grips, a crescent wrench, and baling wire are standard issue. :nod:

SBMF 2015 said:
callmefence said:
If it wasn't for those loops of wire how would folks in Oklahoma lock their gates? :D

Back in the 70-80's every hog guy in the Midwest had a hand full of baling wire on every truck and tractor. Vice grips, a crescent wrench, and baling wire are standard issue. :nod:

O ya, u betcha!
And a goldenrod is great for temporary fence repair....

MurraysMutts said:
Wire is outrageous.

The reason I ask, this baler hasn't been used in years. Just want to see if the dang thing works.

Did you get your sq baler going?

SBMF 2015 said:
MurraysMutts said:
Wire is outrageous.

Did you get your sq baler going?

Everything appears to be working, but I havnt gotten any wire to test it out.
If we lay down the place close to me i may see about testing it.

When it rains, it pours. Tractor is down for a bit too!
Lol

Latest posts