Spring show string - whaddaya reckon?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Okay, so I finally went through all the calves and picked our team for the spring shows later this year, starting in early september and finishing late november. Out of around 25 young calves I had a long list of 14, and managed to whittle it down today to between 6 1/2 and 8 1/2. We would have taken the 14 but I will be there by myself this year, with only one other handler on show day and thats it.

So . . . here they are.

Heifers

Under 12 months class (at time of show)
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_002.JPG

Young misty - 6 months old in this photo, will be 9 months at show (shes the one in the middle - sorry couldn't get a better photo, she's a bit fiery)

12 - 15 months class
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_029.JPG

Angelina - 10 months old in this photo, will be 13 months at the show (she's out of a cow who was fairly successful as a heifer. shes a bit on the small side at the moment, and shes still on the maybe list. but we think we will bring her up because we dont have anything else for that class)

15 - 18 months class
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_026.JPG

Bliss - 13 months in this photo, will be 16 months at show (she has surprised us because she's not out of a particularly outstanding cow, and she really didnt stand out until a few months ago we were out in the paddock and we just went woah, who is that heifer. she is really outstanding among her age group now)

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_036.JPG

Rhiannon - 12 months in the photo, 15 months at show (she's always been a monster of a heifer, and she towers over the others, but we think she's just not as balanced as bliss, so we have taken her off the team. ordinarily we probably would have kept her, but because I'm by myself this year I need to keep numbers down)

18 - 21 months class
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_020.JPG

Floss - 15 1/2 months in the picture, will be 18 1/2 months at the show. we showed this heifer at the beginning of the year with varied results - she's a love or hate kind of heifer. But she has really grown into herself now.

Cows

21 - 24 months class
New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_038.JPG

Old misty - 19 months in photo, 22 months at show. she has been shown before with good results, but we have taken her off the team this spring because she falls into the first cow class but wont have a calf on her - and usually in this class if there is a cow with a calf, that is the one that wins it.

And we will be showing one cow-calf pair, out of the following three:

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_017.JPG

Tingle - has not calved yet - she will be in the 24 - 30 months class with a 2 month old calf

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_033.JPG

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_034.JPG

Bonita - will be in the over 32 months class with a 3 month old calf that was born the other day. I could get a photo of it cos the silly little thing wouldnt stay still!

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_043.JPG

Cleo - will be in the over 32 month class with a 2 week old calf at foot.

And then the two bulls (the photos are bad but it had gotten too dark):

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_048.JPG

Cappa - will be in the 21 - 24 month old class - his last show before being retired to cowville.

New_murray_grey_photos_23-06-07_045.JPG

Bonanza - will be 18 months at the show, he is 15 months in the picture

Comments, likes/dislikes are welcome, as always.

I never get tired of seeing your grey's Keren.

Ever since I saw Bonanza in a photo earlier this year, I've like him. He looks very structural correct, and clean throughout.

Bliss looks like a great heifer, and Tingle is my favourite out of the cows.

Good luck at Melbourne!

(PS Hopefully next year I'll be able to get down to Sydney, and see some of these up close, I was hoping to go down to Melbourne this year, but none of the fitters or breeders up here do Melbourne)

Always have those nice cattle! Getting jealous :cboy:

You have some nice heifers and cows. I also like Bonanza. You be sure to get us show pictures of them all done up! :)

Latest posts