Spring Heifer pictures...

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
Well, I decided to take some pics today, since it was such a nice day and the heifers looked good, in my opinion! This group will be brought in soon and bathed and clipped for the upcoming show season for the kids.

This first heifer is a March born, out of our Fat Butt x Built Right cow. The steer we did so well with last year in the carcass contest (17 inch rib eye) is out of this same cow. This heifer is bred and owned for our son. Her sire is a really nice Steel Force bull we raised a few years ago. We collected him, and used him on a few cows before selling him for $5k.
o8vxtv.jpg

28tw090.jpg

This heifer is also a March, sired by the same bull as the heifer above. Her dam is a 3/4 blood Upgrade sired cow that our middle daughter showed a few years ago. She is already over 1000 pounds!
2r2m1oz.jpg

1zz0ch.jpg

This is a 5/8 blood. Lock n Load is in her pedigree, along with Who made Who and Meyer 734. She is a May.
2rfqxzm.jpg

This is another heifer that is out of our Steel Force bull. She is an April, her dam is a Shear Force.
22x300.jpg

This last one is a Feb 5/8 blood embryo heifer. Sire is Shockforce, and the dam is HPRP Lady Prime. She is deep, but I hope she can grow some. She is the smallest in the group, yet the oldest.
23vixis.jpg

ea5gn5.jpg

I think the kids will have fun this year! What do you think?

Really like the first and last heifer, but they're all very nice. Will they be showing them this summer?

Lazy M":3hl6v5tv said:
Really like the first and last heifer, but they're all very nice. Will they be showing them this summer?
Re-read your post and answered my own question :oops:
Will you breed them this spring or wait until the fall when they're finished being shown?

Nice looking heifers. I'm clipping some heifers this weekend for a sale April 1. I've never tried to clip a cow before so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Lazy M":djkafqxk said:
Lazy M":djkafqxk said:
Re-read your post and answered my own question :oops:
Will you breed them this spring or wait until the fall when they're finished being shown?

We will breed them this spring. The feb above,and another not pictured,will be bred the end of this month, with the rest to follow. We want our heifers to calve before they are two, since they are big enough! That 1000 pound March heifer is ready to breed now, but we will wait 30 more days. Everything is AI bred, so we have a lot of flexibility on sires. Most of these girls are going to be mated to either Broadway, Uno Mas, or Iron Hide.

Thanks guys for the compliments. It is amazing what you can do with AI to improve your herd!

Heifers look good I sure miss the days when my kids showed. Of course now I'm looking forward to the grandkids showing ( fingers crossed) if they have the desire to. Hope y'all have a great show season. The one thing we never enjoyed was clipping, I'm terrible at it the boss does a good job clipping but would rather do any other job on the farm but clip. We now torch our sale cattle still some clipping involved but not near as much as trying to clip the entire body.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=giFpXguhoi8

This YouTube video give you an idea of torching.

Gizmom

Nice heifers FireSweep! The first one is probably my favorite and then the last one. If the last one is too small for your liking feel free to send her up here ;-)

Latest posts