Spring forage...

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Dogs and Cows":1lkfig7e said:
I am wanting to plant a few acres in an early spring forage...I didn't get anything planted in the fall. Anyway, I am going to put in turnips and was wondering if ryegrass would be good to sow along with it? I realize I won't get a huge crop...but at least something to graze a little early on in the spring. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,
Personally I can't tell anyone how to spend their money. In our area since we are fairly close. If you are planting something in the spring why waste your money and time on it because guess what after they pull that stuff out the ground because of the lack of strong root system you will be back at square one. IMO if their is not much pasture forage you need to rope off a section and fix it the right way and not put a bandaid on a gaping wound. If you start out wrong in a pasture it will surely end wrong. Look at it like the foundation of a house if the foundation of the house is banged up the house will be too. I think you need to either drill in some grass seed " KY31" for our area or do like I do broadcast and disc. The bottom line to a pasture is its gotta be right so you can have forage for the cattle. Can you post pics of the area ? If you don't know how to post a pic text it to me and I will either post it or give a suggestion. Pastures are the foundation of the cattle business they just gotta be right. I am in no way a pasture expert but I can keep the cattle eating in one.

Dogs and Cows":1hxwew2y said:
Hey Jules, I have red river crabgrass that comes up in the summer for forage in this pasture...I simply do a little discing and throw out a few pounds of seed per acre and I get great summer forage in this area. I didn't get a chance to seed any cereal grain or rye grass this past fall...but that usually grows well here and the cows like it. I am trying to stay away from fescue as much as possible...and doing well at it. But maybe you are right and I should just seed it to K31.

Thanks!

Tim

Yea I remember talking about it. I will tell you this if not for fescue my cattle would die. I mean how can you not like it in this area its drought tolerant and pretty tolerant of traffic on it. Grows well nice and thick. I gotta have ky 31. I just broadcasted 1150lbs of ky 31 saturday and 300lbs of clovers. IMO sure you can plant it I don't know alot about red river crabgrass but soon as it gets warm the ky31 is ready to start growing. That is another reason I like it. I will have alot of rye coming up as well that i planted last year. I try to find the forages that require the least amount of work that produce so far all in this area ky31 works best for me.

Sky do you let your cattle graze the k31that you just broadcast, as soon as it starts up, or you hold them off? I just spread 900#myself and was just curious what others did..

machslammer":74ovjpuo said:
Sky do you let your cattle graze the k31that you just broadcast, as soon as it starts up, or you hold them off? I just spread 900#myself and was just curious what others did..
Not sky, but I wait until it's tillered and can;t be easily pulled out of the ground. Usually around 6-8 inches.

Don't know your climate but I am a big fan of planting turnips with my rye. Normally I put 2-3lbs of turnips to the acre. 2 lbs of turnip seed will make a dump truck full of turnips. First few years the turnips would be the last thing the cows went after. They fight for them now.

machslammer":syciswn2 said:

I do exactly what dun is suggesting more than likely I will let it grow out and cut it for hay then the second time it gets up to about 6-8 i will put them in there on it. If it were a new stand I personally keep cattle off it for a year but since its over seeding I don't think they will hurt much.

BobbyLummus":syciswn2 said:
how much are you paying for 1000 lbs of ky31 in your area ?

Like 39 per 50lb sack is what I pay

LRTX1":syciswn2 said:
Don't know your climate but I am a big fan of planting turnips with my rye. Normally I put 2-3lbs of turnips to the acre. 2 lbs of turnip seed will make a dump truck full of turnips. First few years the turnips would be the last thing the cows went after. They fight for them now.

I never truly wanted to plant them I am sure they would be great for some but it doesnt fit into my agenda. I just plant rye.

Dogs and Cows":1y260pfh said:
Hey Jules, I have red river crabgrass that comes up in the summer for forage in this pasture...I simply do a little discing and throw out a few pounds of seed per acre and I get great summer forage in this area. I didn't get a chance to seed any cereal grain or rye grass this past fall...but that usually grows well here and the cows like it. I am trying to stay away from fescue as much as possible...and doing well at it. But maybe you are right and I should just seed it to K31.

Thanks!

Tim
Cattle love to eat it. How good is your CG about coming back reseeding itself, or is it mostly one and done annual?

do you guys always disc after you seed or before?

i was thinking of just broadcasting and running a cultipacker over it.

ddd75":zznjdyid said:
do you guys always disc after you seed or before?

i was thinking of just broadcasting and running a cultipacker over it.

Me personally I disc after broadcasting. A cultipacker is not good for existing pasture overseeding but where a cultipackers shines is on fresh dirt that you are newly seeding.

crimsoncrazy":zznjdyid said:
If you don't have rye grass already it will be hard to get rid of. Take that as good or bad.

:???: :???: :???:

Latest posts