Spring calving season a bust????

Help Support CattleToday:

keysbottles

Reaction score
I put the bulls in with the heifers July, Aug., and Sept, with the idea that they would calf in Apr, May and June. 65% of the mixed breed heifers have calved so far but I had 14 head of reg. Angus heifers mixed in them and only have one calf out of them. I'm trying to figure out why.

The Angus were 15 to 18 months old when the bulls were introduced. Their health and condition was good. We did have a dry summer but they had plenty of pasture and clean water.

Does anyone have any ideas on this situation?

Are the heifers out of the same bull? From the same original herd? Clearly something's wrong.

Palpate, palpate, palpate.

Were they Black Angus?

I'm gonna venture a guess that the heat for that time of year was the culprit. Black cows just don't like hot weather, at least without a pond or some shade.

Sizmic

Those are probably about the thoughest months for bull fertility. High day time tremps and not cooling off at night has a tendency to get to the boys boys.

I bought the heifers from a neighbor. He bought out a herd from a retiring farmer and these heifers were some the calves from that purchase. Black Angus, out of 3 different bulls. Plan to palpate next week to see how many we will get on the fall cycle.

These BA were part of 70 head that were in the same pasture, bulls etc.,,,most of the others, even though not full blood, were black and either BA or Lim background. That's why I'm a little concerned that something may be wrong.

Cross breds are more fertile, but this is pretty extreme. Hard to blame all this on being registered Black Angus...

Sounds like an adaptation issue.

Stocker Steve":xoal6tef said:
Cross breds are more fertile, but this is pretty extreme. Hard to blame all this on being registered Black Angus...

Sounds like an adaptation issue.
:nod:

I never had a plan to cull entire lines, but I can see that I am doing that over a period of time.
It is not that they are good or bad, but that they just do not fit into my system.
So my culling list has gone from a list of individual old cows to groups of poor performers.

dun":2g1lgo9y said:
Those are probably about the thoughest months for bull fertility. High day time tremps and not cooling off at night has a tendency to get to the boys boys.
I'm glad you mentioned this as this happened to me... (my bull)...had half my calf crop from Feb 24-end of March. Not a single calf in April. Started calving again May 12...Would like to use this bull one more year (plans to put him in June 15th) but I'm worried about this happening again... Any advice? Keep him in during the day under fans, turn him out at night? Ship him?

Wisteria Farms":6qw8t0kp said:
dun":6qw8t0kp said:
I'm glad you mentioned this as this happened to me... (my bull)...had half my calf crop from Feb 24-end of March. Not a single calf in April. Started calving again May 12...Would like to use this bull one more year (plans to put him in June 15th) but I'm worried about this happening again... Any advice? Keep him in during the day under fans, turn him out at night? Ship him?
I'd think their would have to be a darn good reason to keep a bull papmperend enough so he can do his job....not happening here cause I can't think of a single reason to keep a hard keeper or have to try to change your local climate to meet his needs.... :D !

On the flip side...are you certain it was climate related?

Fairly certain... I do recall there was a period where he was limping but it didn't last but a few days. That could have been the cause if he was laying more than "working"... but I also recall it being really hot for about a week during that time which is why I'm inclined to think it was weather related as my dry spell lasted a full month. Trust me, as I learn more and more, I know NOW to keep track of these things on my calendar to help take the guesswork out later! The only reason I would consider pampering him is because we've gotten dang-sweet calves out of him! I have another bull but was just hoping to get one more year out of him.

Wisteria Farms":39jk7mul said:
Fairly certain... I do recall there was a period where he was limping but it didn't last but a few days. That could have been the cause if he was laying more than "working"... but I also recall it being really hot for about a week during that time which is why I'm inclined to think it was weather related as my dry spell lasted a full month. Trust me, as I learn more and more, I know NOW to keep track of these things on my calendar to help take the guesswork out later! The only reason I would consider pampering him is because we've gotten dang-sweet calves out of him! I have another bull but was just hoping to get one more year out of him.

Didn't you say he was a 6 yr old. He might have just needed a couple of weeks to reload and that along with the suspected injury could have cost you a month easy.

Turn the young bull out and don't look back!

No, he was born in '07... so he is just now 4... We've used him since buying him in 2008 as a yearling. In 2009 we only had one heifer out of him and sold her. Last year we got some really nice heifers out of him and this year so far we only have 2 heifers (hoping for more). We thought we might use him one last year on the original girls (putting the young bull on his daughters) but I guess we need to send him packing.

Wisteria Farms":1odqewjh said:
No, he was born in '07... so he is just now 4... We've used him since buying him in 2008 as a yearling. In 2009 we only had one heifer out of him and sold her. Last year we got some really nice heifers out of him and this year so far we only have 2 heifers (hoping for more). We thought we might use him one last year on the original girls (putting the young bull on his daughters) but I guess we need to send him packing.

If you like him that much get him collected and AI from him

3waycross":2zj99lj7 said:
Wisteria Farms":2zj99lj7 said:

If you like him that much get him collected and AI from him
He is already collected... was just debating on collecting him again before moving him on as we've had interest in him...

Latest posts