Spring calves

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC wrote
It was copied and pasted from another site.

I was wondering what the policy on this sort of thing is? Usually one needs to cite the source if you "quote" someone. On another forum I "hang around" on, they also have a 4 paragraph rule - you can paste any 4 out of an article, they don't have to be consecutive but no more plus the link to where you got the info.

Hippie Rancher":mb5f6h9e said:
VanC wrote

I was wondering what the policy on this sort of thing is? Usually one needs to cite the source if you "quote" someone. On another forum I "hang around" on, they also have a 4 paragraph rule - you can paste any 4 out of an article, they don't have to be consecutive but no more plus the link to where you got the info.

I don't think there's any such rule here. It's done all the time. No big deal. Even if the source isn't cited, you can usually tell it's someone else's writing. I don't ever recall someone trying to take credit for something on these boards they didn't actually write, and I'm sure that's not the case here. A couple of people just misunderstood, that's all.

Since he didn't bother correcting anybody, I guess he didn't mind letting everybody think he wrote it. :lol2:

I think most knew it wasn't his words. There ain't no mention of cowboy hats, wantabes, hobbie farmers, and its to long and drawn out. :lol:

ALACOWMAN":8y106mmj said:
it has about 400 more words than caustic usually writes

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and it answered the question directly. ;-)

:cboy:

Hippie Rancher":3cb6mmbj said:
VanC wrote

You have to be really careful about posting a copyrighted article, picture, song lyrics, literature, anything that states it's copyrighted w/o the owner's permission. I doubt a lot of people get busted for doing it, but some have, and as a result their websites, msg. boards, forums, etc. have been shut down.

The safest way to do it is to give a synopsis of the article and post the link. At least that's what we do on the message board that I manage on MSN.

Alice

Just to be clear (before he gets a bur under his blanket about me) I wasn't trying to go after Mr. Caustic - just asking about the policy. The fellow seems like a knowlegeble and "real" cowman, if as his handle indicates, he is a bit on the caustic side. Probably a BIG old softie when you are around him, too. ;-)

I want to add, there are quite a few on here that seem real self-made and self-educated. I admire that a lot. And I admire those willing to help and teach others. But the ones I REALLY admire are those with a lot of experience that are still willing to learn something new. :hat: <--- hat's off to ya

Texan":2vrx0csa said:
Since he didn't bother correcting anybody, I guess he didn't mind letting everybody think he wrote it. :lol2:

Yes Texan it came from a library of stuff I have, I actually think it was in some Crystalix material I recieved I saved. I was planing to go into partnership with J to run stockers on the 10 acre Bored Bull Ranch.

Now that's what we are used to from old cb. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

One liners that attack the little guy and provide no substance what so ever.

What is the average weight gain per day on weaned calves ( 500 lbs) if your feeding hay during the fall and winter months? Will they gain more weight while their on hay during the winter months than they will during the spring and summer?

Caustic Burno":2fx4bilu said:
I was planing to go into partnership with J to run stockers on the 10 acre Bored Bull Ranch.
LOL, Caustic. J might not want to be partners with you. Anyway, before you go partners with somebody else on stockers, you ought to give some thought to running your own cattle a little longer:

I haul at 400 lbs

I have played with the weights I have found I like to get the calfs off the cows faster and there is not much difference in take home pay, due to the price differential per pound.

try to get them to the barn 375 to 400.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 8243#88243

Why don't you try running some of those little bitty dinky baby calves on grass for a while if your cows can't finish raising them? After all, if you really want to run stockers, what better place to get them than right there fresh off your own place? If you can't make it work with your own cattle, what makes you think you can make it work buying somebody else's? :lol:

Caustic Burno":1xuvjgg5 said:
J you still hanging around like a buzzard so you can learn grass management of the Bored bull ranch.
I think the learning part is why a lot of people are here. Is that not correct?

Texan":j46xfe7p said:
Caustic Burno":j46xfe7p said:
J you still hanging around like a buzzard so you can learn grass management of the Bored bull ranch.
I think the learning part is why a lot of people are here. Is that not correct?

That is correct for "MOST" that are here. :shock: It is to learn from others that have had other experiences in the hobby/business of raising cattle, and we all know that anything and everything can happen when dealing with cattle and horses. :eek:

Now as for the Full of Bull Ranch (see there cb I can make up funnies too! :lol: ) well they are just here to verify how much they know and how little others do.

Thanks for the offer cb on running stockers together but I don't think your head could fit through the gate of the bored bull ranch.

Central Fl Cracker":3trsk4eb said:
What is the average weight gain per day on weaned calves ( 500 lbs) if your feeding hay during the fall and winter months? Will they gain more weight while their on hay during the winter months than they will during the spring and summer?

Sorry we got away from your post. ADG varies from 1.0lb-3.5.lbs per day, depending on the animal, its history, the breed, weather conditions, quality of what its eating, etc.....

Growing cattle have an energy requirement for both maintainance and gain. Basically there is a certain amount of energy required that results in no loss (maintainance). Then there is an additional amount of energy on top of that, that is required to actually puts pounds on that animal (gain).

Basically if you put them on good grass and hay, with plenty of fresh water and loose minerals along with vaccinations and worming they will do all the work, but you have to provide them with what they need to grow. Just my thouhgts though.. :)

Central Fl Cracker":hwfbdcjs said:
J
Any difference between summer months and winter in regards to Average daily weight gain?

Here in Texas the summers get a little warm and you tend to lose good grazing conditions, say mid July? Winters aren't that bad in my area so I'd say winter is a better time for me but that might be different in your area. The problem I have with winter is that in the evenings its dark when I leave and dark when I get home so theres not much time to check for sickies. Like has been said earlier stockers, especially if bought at the sale barn, GET SICK and need to be checked at LEAST once a day if not twice.

Central Fl Cracker":ehlwxu3y said:
J
Any difference between summer months and winter in regards to Average daily weight gain?

Out here there is. Winter = cold = more energy taken keeping the animal warm, that cannot be used for putting on pounds. Down south there probably isn't so much of a difference.

Latest posts