Sprigging Bermuda, help me choose.

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
I plan on sprigging bermuda in November or December. The primary purpose is hay production, and if I make enough hay I will let the herd graze it. I'm trying to decide between Tifton 44 and Coastal. Please share your knowledge with me about these varieties.

Both are good grasses but I would go with Tift 44 over coastal since it produces a higher quality forage. Tift 44 is also easier to bale for hay and is just a good looking grass in my opinion. It also greens up quicker than coastal so it should give you a little longer growing season. If I remember correctly, Tift 44 is about 7% more digestible than coastal while they both produce about the same number of tons.

Personally, Iove to bale Tift 44. Cut it in the morning and you will be baling it the next day if not sooner.

gertman":1304yx1h said:
I plan on sprigging bermuda in November or December. The primary purpose is hay production, and if I make enough hay I will let the herd graze it. I'm trying to decide between Tifton 44 and Coastal. Please share your knowledge with me about these varieties.

Is November and December to early to sprigg. I thought the best results were when the grass was ready to break dormancy and begin to sprout a little. We never planted early. If it is in the ground and not growing then it can rot and you will have nothing.

Depends mostly on soil moisture and whether or not you can run the equipment in the field without mucking it up. Gentle ruts in the field can be felt for many many years. I know this to be true. :oops:

What part of SC? I haven't heard anything good about Tift 44 around here. I'm west of Augusta. I'm going to try Russell.

gabby":18rslsj3 said:
What part of SC? I haven't heard anything good about Tift 44 around here. I'm west of Augusta. I'm going to try Russell.

Northwest SC. I've heard great things about T44 and T85. I've heard bad things about Russell, World Feeder and Callie. Of course Coastal is old reliable, and I'm worried the winter may get too cold for T85.

gertman":1cx7q1x9 said:
gabby":1cx7q1x9 said:

Northwest SC. I've heard great things about T44 and T85. I've heard bad things about Russell, World Feeder and Callie. Of course Coastal is old reliable, and I'm worried the winter may get too cold for T85.
You might go to the Noble Foundations website, they have some long going evauations on different bermudas. Costal is right up there with Tifton 85 in production. Keep in mind that any hybrid bermuda will require large amounts of fertilizer to reach its full potential.
http://www.noble.org/ag/Research/Articl ... index.html

Tift 44 has good cold tolerance. This is why it greens up quicker in the spring and browns up later in the fall than the coastal. Of the two you mentioned, this would be my choice given these attributes as well as its higher digestibility not to mention the ease of baling it for hay.

Tift 85 is best used in the coastal plain region. Russell, is good stuff too but I don't know how it would fair in your area. I'm told it is more winter hardy than coastal.

Latest posts