Spreading seed and fertilizer together.

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
Thought about spreading some ryegrass and crimson clover seed by mixing it in with a pasture blend fertilizer. Good idea or no? I assume the spread pattern will be different, but I'm not terribly concerned with that. Will the fertilizer hurt the seed?

That's the only way I do it, and have never had any problems. I always pull a pasture drag over the seed and fertilizer, but it's just to wet for us to do at the moment.

It is a great idea, but i will say i have not had very good luck with Crimson in the spring , if any clover is spread in spring i will frost seed White or Red in mid to late February.

I am going to be spreading some white clover next month, last year I spread white clover and rye grass. The clover did great but the rye grass didn't come up. May want to no till drill the rye.

I usually broadcast the rye-grass in March in west TN and use a drag harrow behind the spreader works great on open ground.

southernultrablack said:
What kind of red/white clover do y'all use

I'm going to be spreading 2 lbs ladino white clover and 8 lbs red clover. That is what my state ag department recommends for spring seeding. They also call for 20 lbs kobe lespedeza. Anyone plant lespedeza with their clover?

midTN_Brangusman said:
southernultrablack said:

I'm going to be spreading 2 lbs ladino white clover and 8 lbs red clover. That is what my state ag department recommends for spring seeding. They also call for 20 lbs kobe lespedeza. Anyone plant lespedeza with their clover?

Lespedeza is an awesome grass, I've had trouble getting it going.

I have had trouble getting Kobe seed, so I may try Korean This year. It is still $80.00 for 50# though.

We always called common lespedeza a noxious weed here.. I think it's lespedeza sericea? It just takes over if you aren't careful. Is it completely different from the Kobe?

yes serecia is different from Kobe or Korean....

I have broadcast kobe or korean with my clover in the spring and had good results...it is still productive in the summer when the clovers go dormant in our area...

sstterry said:
snoopdog said:
Try the jumbo ladino, the yield is awesome.

How much are you paying for the jumbo ladino? What mix would you recommend per acre?
I don't remember what we paid last year,but I think we spread at about 3-4 lbs. Its listed at 3.64 this year.

I would recommend double spreading anytime seed or urea is involved. This will lessen or eliminate the streaky spread patterns.

snoopdog said:
sstterry said:
snoopdog said:
Try the jumbo ladino, the yield is awesome.

How much are you paying for the jumbo ladino? What mix would you recommend per acre?
I don't remember what we paid last year,but I think we spread at about 3-4 lbs. Its listed at 3.64 this year.

Nixa Seed has it for 3.28 a bag. I'm thinking a bit about it myself.

JParrott said:
snoopdog said:
sstterry said:

Nixa Seed has it for 3.28 a bag. I'm thinking a bit about it myself.
Yeah, got a flyer from them after I posted

midTN_Brangusman said:
southernultrablack said:

Yes we do. Our main hay field we try to keep at 70-80% red clover and 20-30% lespedeza.

Latest posts