Spraying Question

Help Support CattleToday:

jka300

Reaction score
I was wondering if you can spray round up with a galvanized tank? I talked to our local supplier about it but I should have just talked to a wall, probably would have learnt more! All they want was to spray it themselves, which would have been alright except they wanted $14 an acre and it had to be 90 acres or more before they would even consider coming out. I only got 40 acres to spray so they pretty much showed me the door.

I have never seen anywhere on the label about glyphosate corroding zinc and producing hydrogen gas. I would double check on that. I know that it is water soluable but I have not seen it be chemically reactive with spray tank coatings.

Maybe you should upgrade to plastic? At $14 an acre you could probably upgrade for about that amount or less? You already have the tank saddle.

That's what I was thinking. My plan is to buy a used sprayer that isn't any good, except for the plastic tank, and use the tank off it. Usually you can buy a sprayer at an auction for $300 - $500 but this year they're hard to find and when there is one that is all worn out, except the tank, people just go nuts bidding on them. I went to a sale just yesterday, the sprayer had no wheels, the booms looked like the guy rapped it around tree and the tank was cracked. It went for $2700 :shock: . Just plain nuts.

jka300":1zna9kzx said:
That's what I was thinking. My plan is to buy a used sprayer that isn't any good, except for the plastic tank, and use the tank off it. Usually you can buy a sprayer at an auction for $300 - $500 but this year they're hard to find and when there is one that is all worn out, except the tank, people just go nuts bidding on them. I went to a sale just yesterday, the sprayer had no wheels, the booms looked like the guy rapped it around tree and the tank was cracked. It went for $2700 :shock: . Just plain nuts.
The tank isn;t the really expensive part. The expensive part is the regulator/valve assembly and the pump.

dun":2av4c86z said:
jka300":2av4c86z said:
The tank isn;t the really expensive part. The expensive part is the regulator/valve assembly and the pump.
It was missing the pump, regulator and hoses also.

Angus Cowman":2av4c86z said:
You didn't say what size of tank you have but most new poly tanks run around $1 per gallon. i had to buy a new one for my small 200gal sprayer last yr and the cost was $212

I don't know off hand the size of the tank that's on there. I was looking at getting a bigger tank, less fill ups, probably around 500 gallons.

jka300":2tv4x0ak said:
dun":2tv4x0ak said:
jka300":2tv4x0ak said:
It was missing the pump, regulator and hoses also.

Angus Cowman":2tv4x0ak said:
You didn't say what size of tank you have but most new poly tanks run around $1 per gallon. i had to buy a new one for my small 200gal sprayer last yr and the cost was $212

I don't know off hand the size of the tank that's on there. I was looking at getting a bigger tank, less fill ups, probably around 500 gallons.

Takes a pretty hefty piece of equipment to haul a 500 gallon sprayer. That's 2 tons of water, it either needs it's own dolly or a one BEEG tractor to carry it as a 3 point.

Takes a pretty hefty piece of equipment to haul a 500 gallon sprayer. That's 2 tons of water, it either needs it's own dolly or a one BEEG tractor to carry it as a 3 point.[/quote]

The frame on it is built really heavy for a sprayer. We had another spray just like this one and we took the spraying components off and turned it into a little trailer but we still are going to reinforce it a bit.

Latest posts