Spraying after mowing?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
It was suggested to me in a hay field to spray it this fall to control a type of vine. Field was pastured after first cutting and then mowed at about 6-8" height. How long after mowing would be best to spray?

Unless it's a fall growing vine, spraying this late in the year will only kill this years new growth. It won;t affect next years if the vine is an annual, like field bind weed, etc. For here a 2 week wait after mowing works well(that's earlier in the year than fall), but that is for annual weeds, we use Grazon P+D.

Don't know what type of vine you are referring to??? some plants like Blackberry if you mow them it just makes them have a lot bigger root system and then they are harder to kill. I do know a man that will mow Blackberry vines down then go right in behind the mower ,within hours, and spray them and gets a good kill. He is spraying when the plant has the fresh wound

dun":3r3ctvbh said:
Unless it's a fall growing vine, spraying this late in the year will only kill this years new growth. It won;t affect next years if the vine is an annual, like field bind weed, etc. For here a 2 week wait after mowing works well(that's earlier in the year than fall), but that is for annual weeds, we use Grazon P+D.
Don't remember what local place told me the vine was called but said a fall spray was good for it because it grows during the winter said I would have a cleaner field next year if I did a fall and spring spraying.

Is it a spot spray situation, or a broadcast situation? I like to spray vines/woody stuff about now. Maybe when the sap falls, it'll get the roots.

Bigfoot":1khuukbo said:
Is it a spot spray situation, or a broadcast situation? I like to spray vines/woody stuff about now. Maybe when the sap falls, it'll get the roots.
Was thinking about the whole field.

Bigfoot":2g62721q said:
best time, fixing to spray about 40 acres of Blackberries as soon as this rain and wind go away. Bought the spray last week

BRYANT":2fxbxpch said:
Bigfoot":2fxbxpch said:
best time, fixing to spray about 40 acres of Blackberries as soon as this rain and wind go away. Bought the spray last week
What are you going to use?

BRYANT":397or5w6 said:
I like to spray vines/woody stuff about now.

At the prices blackberries bring your sitting on a gold mine there. 40 acres might be enough to carry you through this downturn on cows.

Craig Miller":35lixrqm said:
BRYANT":35lixrqm said:
I like to spray vines/woody stuff about now.

At the prices blackberries bring your sitting on a gold mine there. 40 acres might be enough to carry you through this downturn on cows.

I was thinking close to the same thing Craig.

dun
for a 300 gal. tank putting out 10 gal per acre I use
30 oz. Plotter
30 pts. Remedy
60 oz. Interlock
60 oz. Inergy
for a 25 gal. spot sprayer doing fencerows
1 qt. Grazon P&D
1 PT. Remedy
1pt. Inergy

for all of you Blackberry pickers I have another 80 acre that has piles of them on it if you can make any money off them you are welcome to them. Here in Okla. blackberry and red cedar will take a place over fast. I could find you hundreds of acres to pick blackberries on.

they a very hand to get rid of if they have been there for a while and even harder if they were mowed

Let us know next spring how it works. I have always had better luck with blackberry vines spraying in the spring when they start to flower. I use Surmount. I have never tried spraying in the fall.

BRYANT":bp7di8aq said:
... for all of you Blackberry pickers I have another 80 acre that has piles of them on it if you can make any money off them you are welcome to them. Here in Okla. blackberry and red cedar will take a place over fast. I could find you hundreds of acres to pick blackberries on.

Hey, Bryant. Why aren't you picking them, or having them picked? Blackberries are a valuable resource if they are in good enough condition to retail. I'm pretty sure they have to be fertilized and cared for though, just like any other crop.

garyws":2a1lqrx8 said:
BRYANT":2a1lqrx8 said:
... for all of you Blackberry pickers I have another 80 acre that has piles of them on it if you can make any money off them you are welcome to them. Here in Okla. blackberry and red cedar will take a place over fast. I could find you hundreds of acres to pick blackberries on.

Hey, Bryant. Why aren't you picking them, or having them picked? Blackberries are a valuable resource if they are in good enough condition to retail. I'm pretty sure they have to be fertilized and cared for though, just like any other crop.
You people that think they have a marketabilty obviously don;t have the dam things coming out your ears. I never have cared to eat them and got awfully tired of spending several hours a day picking them for weeks when I was a kid. I now kill every one I can. If the wife wants some I send her to a neighbor that doesn;t kill them and let her pick them to her hearts content, as long as she doesn;t expect me to eat the nasty things

I mowed down about two acres last year after they were dead for the year. We have enough growing along the edges of the trees to get all we want to eat.

bird dog":168thk6k said:
Let us know next spring how it works. I have always had better luck with blackberry vines spraying in the spring when they start to flower. I use Surmount. I have never tried spraying in the fall.

I have and uncle that worked with a gas co. on there right aways that was telling me I could get better kill spraying them in the fall when the sap is going down. You need the spray in the roots so I tried it last year and got a very good kill. last year I sprayer with a spot sprayer and sprayed big patches that were to big to drive through. Ever thing I am spraying this year is under 4' I am using a little different mixture that a chemical sales co. recommended, the sales rep. also said the same thing about fall spraying. If I can remember I will see about taking some pictures of some of the big patches I sprayed last year

BRYANT":17tz0t21 said:
bird dog":17tz0t21 said:

I have and uncle that worked with a gas co. on there right aways that was telling me I could get better kill spraying them in the fall when the sap is going down. You need the spray in the roots so I tried it last year and got a very good kill. last year I sprayer with a spot sprayer and sprayed big patches that were to big to drive through. Ever thing I am spraying this year is under 4' I am using a little different mixture that a chemical sales co. recommended, the sales rep. also said the same thing about fall spraying. If I can remember I will see about taking some pictures of some of the big patches I sprayed last year
Using Surmount I haven;t noticed any one time of the year better than others. I've sprayed in spring, when they are blooming and late summer. Same results. The stuff dies and is gone and hasn;t come back in several years since.

I got blackberry patches over 1/4 acre and the plants are 10 feet high. Any ideas? Can I bush hog something like that without popping holes in my tires?