Sprayer Question

Help Support CattleToday:

kilroy60

Reaction score
Needing your advice on a sprayer. Looking at a pull behind boomless sprayer. Anyone have any comments good or bad and what are your thoughts?

We have a pull behind with booms and selling it to set one up three point boomless. We just need something that we can get around a bit better with. The pastures around here grow good grass but make u suck the seat cushion up at times.

The only disadvantage to a 3 point is the physical size limitation due to tractor size. A 200 gallon sprayer will add over 3/4 of a ton to the back of the tractor.

Finally got my trailer rigged out this last year. It worked great. Wish I would have done it 10years ago. I was very impressed with the coverage of the boomless nozzle.

I've used sprayers on the 3 pt before and did not like the way it handled. The last thing I want to do it tie up a big tractor spraying when probably a 30hp tractor can do it with a trailer. Plus I can put this one behind my truck and run it here or there if needed.

kilroy60":fflbffv5 said:
Needing your advice on a sprayer. Looking at a pull behind boomless sprayer. Anyone have any comments good or bad and what are your thoughts?

Any trailer, or wagon you already own can be outfitted to become a sprayer. I built one a few years ago. Wish I had years ago. My only regret is not going bigger with my tank. It's 270 gallon now. Wish I had bought a 600 gallon tank.

I run a 330 gallon boomless with boominator nozzles. It works well. I have it set up to where it will do about 22 to 24 acres before refilling. Like Brute says, you can use a smaller tractor if you have one available. I use a guidance system and have very few missed spots spraying a 28' path. Only negative I see over a boom type is the wind will give you fits at times.

bird dog":3r57gqpt said:
I run a 330 gallon boomless with boominator nozzles. It works well. I have it set up to where it will do about 22 to 24 acres before refilling. Like Brute says, you can use a smaller tractor if you have one available. I use a guidance system and have very few missed spots spraying a 28' path. Only negative I see over a boom type is the wind will give you fits at times.

The wind is another issue I am concerned with since I have an open cab tractor. I'm going to have to make good plans and spray very early morning when there is no wind, hopefully. That's another reason I'm thinking of going with the boom type until I can upgrade to a cab tractor.

I use the same nozzle Brute23 shows behind his tank.
Mine is 330 gal rectangle shaped 'tote' tank, pulled with Ford 3600 most of the time or Leyland 45 hp.. both 2wd..both are open cab.
drift is only an issue in very high winds--the boominator nozzle makes big droplets..

Brute 23":3t88xi8o said:
Finally got my trailer rigged out this last year. It worked great. Wish I would have done it 10years ago. I was very impressed with the coverage of the boomless nozzle.

I've used sprayers on the 3 pt before and did not like the way it handled. The last thing I want to do it tie up a big tractor spraying when probably a 30hp tractor can do it with a trailer. Plus I can put this one behind my truck and run it here or there if needed.

Is that a Boomjet nozzle? If so, which model and how do you like it? Any changes you'd make?

Thanks.

Yes it is the 5880 with OC-10 nozzles.

http://www.lh-agro.de/media/7776faa5-d0 ... s_p034.pdf

I was a little concerned about only doing around 12 gpa at first because every thing you read says more gallons for better coverage. I sprayed some thick black/white brush type stuff with grass in it and I was VERY impressed. You can clearly see wet coverage where you have sprayed. It smoked every thing. There was no green from missed spots or any thing.

Now that I have seen it work and know what pump & nozzle set up works my plan is to find some one that wants that set up bad enough and sell it. The tank is only around 350 gallons and that doesn't get me very far. We built that one from pretty much scratch. I want the identical set up with a 600-750 gallon tank and tandem axles.

BobbyLummus1":914rq45m said:
I had same problem was dangerous , till I got my mudder . it doesnt know 200 gallons is back there and i can go where I want

I like that setup!!!

I could get all our pastures with that thing. But the the low profile pull type would be nice and it wouldn't tied up a tractor as much.

Brute 23":hq0hjvej said:

I was a little concerned about only doing around 12 gpa at first because every thing you read says more gallons for better coverage. I sprayed some thick black/white brush type stuff with grass in it and I was VERY impressed. You can clearly see wet coverage where you have sprayed. It smoked every thing. There was no green from missed spots or any thing.

Now that I have seen it work and know what pump & nozzle set up works my plan is to find some one that wants that set up bad enough and sell it. The tank is only around 350 gallons and that doesn't get me very far. We built that one from pretty much scratch. I want the identical set up with a 600-750 gallon tank and tandem axles.

Thank you for the information, I was looking at the 5880 with the OC-20 nozzles - that'd put me right at 15 gpa at 5 mph according to their specs.

You wouldn't happen to recall which pump you're running on the trailer, would you?

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

kilroy60":j1tsq766 said:

We purchased a 500 gal 45' boom sprayer last year. One of the best investments we made for the farm. It is coupled with a trimble guidance system we bought for fertilizer spreading and planting. Biggest reason I like it I am not dependent on someone else I can spray when I am ready

cfpinz":rrpbduq0 said:
Brute 23":rrpbduq0 said:

Thank you for the information, I was looking at the 5880 with the OC-20 nozzles - that'd put me right at 15 gpa at 5 mph according to their specs.

You wouldn't happen to recall which pump you're running on the trailer, would you?

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

Hypro Silver series, 8 roller pump

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... rayer-pump

I have a 4 gpm 12 volt pump on mine. It was about $100. I think its on year 4, with no trouble. Doing it again, I'd probably use a roller pump, but I can't say what I'm using has given any trouble.

Latest posts