Spots

Help Support CattleToday:

She's a nice young good sized cow, just had a nice calf and has a nice utter, we got her cheap, can't remember just how much we paid.
Only problem is the color.
I got one that looks like her twin. Calf does also. I think I gave $410 last summer as 3 year old and 3 months bred.

Maybe a longhorn cross, also a possibility of a Pinzgaur cross but don't see many of those around. They do milk well from what I have heard.

She's a nice young good sized cow, just had a nice calf and has a nice utter, we got her cheap, can't remember just how much we paid.
Only problem is the color.

Those spots are pretty strong. I had a half Longhorn heifer given to me for some work I did around 1986. At one point I bred her to a Brahman bull and got a big white cow with some big reddish spots. I still have one of her daughters, from an Angus bull. She looks pretty similar to your cow, and she has a calf from a Red Brangus bull that looks just like her. So that calf is only 1/16 Longhorn, and doesn't have any other spotted genetics in him, and he's still spotted.

If spots are a problem to you just be sure not to breed her back to anything with recessive genes. In al honesty I don't know but my
hunch is a 1st generation corriente/possibly red angus cross. That cross will yield all black , all red. black and white spotted and red and
white spotted and that is with the same bull! Not to worry about the color of the calf. In all probability you bought the mother cheap
enough that she will always be worth as much or more than her original cost. She should be good for 8 to 10 more calves. Cows are
going to get high if not already.
If you're worried about your image go comb your hair and count the money that cheap cow made for you. Good Luck!

If you're worried about your image go comb your hair and count the money that cheap cow made for you. Good Luck!
I love this comment. I drive a 2001 Dodge 3500 flatbed with a 2002 Wilson trailer and buy the cheap cattle. But most anything I buy will make a good profit.

. . . If you're worried about your image go comb your hair and count the money that cheap cow made for you. Good Luck!

A few years ago someone gave my daughter-in-law a goat. I don't know what she planned to do with it, but she eventually decided to take it to the auction barn, and asked me if I'd haul it for her. Of course I couldn't turn her down, but I was sure glad I didn't run into anyone I knew before we got it unloaded.

Of the 12 calves my 1/2 Corriente cow has had, 11 have been from solid colored bulls and 9 have come with the
color pattern you see on this calf. Some were black and white, with that same color pattern. Not bad calves, but will
get docked at least .10-.20 cents per lb. because of the color.

I asked the guy that purchased the heifer calf in this picture if I might be able to buy her back next spring/summer, so he
paid me the full heifer price on her, no mark down because of spots. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1784.JPEG
    IMG_1784.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
If spots are a problem to you just be sure not to breed her back to anything with recessive genes. In al honesty I don't know but my
hunch is a 1st generation corriente/possibly red angus cross. That cross will yield all black , all red. black and white spotted and red and
white spotted and that is with the same bull! Not to worry about the color of the calf. In all probability you bought the mother cheap
enough that she will always be worth as much or more than her original cost. She should be good for 8 to 10 more calves. Cows are
going to get high if not already.
It's a live calf, so I'm good.
We didn't know what she was bred too when we bought her, she will bring good money now, good sized cow with a good udder, we have a red angus bull on her now if she breeds back good.
She'll be ready to sell in May.

Those spots are pretty strong. I had a half Longhorn heifer given to me for some work I did around 1986. At one point I bred her to a Brahman bull and got a big white cow with some big reddish spots. I still have one of her daughters, from an Angus bull. She looks pretty similar to your cow, and she has a calf from a Red Brangus bull that looks just like her. So that calf is only 1/16 Longhorn, and doesn't have any other spotted genetics in him, and he's still spotted.
That longhorn color gene is tough to get out of the DNA woodpile.

We have 2 little corriente cows that raise real good calves. One black one brendel
They have solid colored calves when bred to angus bulls, their calves get as tall as they are and don't get docked.
The black ones calf was the biggest in a bunch we sold last fall and brought the most. Solid red and 600+ lbs.

We have 2 little corriente cows that raise real good calves. One black one brendel
They have solid colored calves when bred to angus bulls, their calves get as tall as they are and don't get docked.
The black ones calf was the biggest in a bunch we sold last fall and brought the most. Solid red and 600+ lbs.
Whew! You are a brave one, tex452. You are about to be attacked as a liar!

Latest posts