Spotlight

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
My wife got me a rechargable 2 million candlelight spotlight for Christmas. Just checked the cows with it and I think I love her more than ever... Nice.

Know just what you mean. My kids got me one Christmas before last. It sure makes looking for calvers easy in the dark - looks brighter than daylight with the contrast!

fit2btied":19ysr35i said:
Know just what you mean. My kids got me one Christmas before last. It sure makes looking for calvers easy in the dark - looks brighter than daylight with the contrast!

That's exactly what I was doing tonight. I have several heifers about to pop. With this thing, you can spot them a long way off. And because it's rechargable (not plugged into the cig lighter), you can get out of the truck for a better angle to check them out. I'm really excited about it.

Mine will only last about 15-20 minutes on a full charge with intermitent use, just over 10 minutes constant use, so I use it plugged into the lighter when I can. That said, I only take the truck when it's cold and windy like it is now: 18 F with about a 10 mph wind. When walking, I learned real quick to carry a regular flashlight too so I can get back to the house without breaking my neck when it goes dead.

Edited to change dash to colon, so as not to appear as -18 F.

fit2btied":2i7d16j1 said:
Mine will only last about 15-20 minutes on a full charge so I use it plugged into the lighter when I can. That said, I only take the truck when it's cold and windy like it is now - 18 F with about a 10 mph wind. When walking, I learned real quick to carry a regular flashlight too so I can get back to the house without breaking my neck when it goes dead.

Thanks for the warning. I haven't used it enough to run the battery down yet. Man, that is is cold. I thought I was chilly tonight!

I learned the hard way about the life of the battery one night in the swamp frog gigging. Man that thing lit up the swamp and I could see all kinds of crawly creatures until it went dead. Finding my way back to the truck in knee deep water and knowing how many creepie crawlies I had seen with the light was quite exillerating if not down right scary.

I got one a couple of years ago and I agree, it's a great light, you can cover alot of ground with it, but charge life is short.
Jogeephus, I wouldn't have wanted to be in your shoes that night.

Jogeephus":8jaaa5i9 said:
I learned the hard way about the life of the battery one night in the swamp frog gigging. Man that thing lit up the swamp and I could see all kinds of crawly creatures until it went dead. Finding my way back to the truck in knee deep water and knowing how many creepie crawlies I had seen with the light was quite exillerating if not down right scary.

Jogee, so at that point, do you slip back to the truck quietly, like a church mouse, or do you make lots of noise? I've had those kinds of experiences getting the blind set up for duck hunting before the sun comes up. One very dark overcast morning I was quietly pushing the boat to cover. I had lights off because it wasn't long till shooting time. A beaver slapped it's tail right next to me. I just about launched myself.

jfont":2r6blhqo said:
I got one a couple of years ago and I agree, it's a great light, you can cover alot of ground with it, but charge life is short.
charge life is always short with those million or 2 million flashlights.
I have one, but doesnt last long enough. I still like the old 6 volt ones. They last for months on one battery.

When the spring clips on my gate chains are frozen, the light will usually thaw them in about 30 seconds or so. Don't know how many I've broken trying to free them up with the nearest available club!

jfont":1vocn3lu said:

The last one I picked out had two power packs. You simply have to remember to switch them out and charge them both. I have forgotten a few times. Anyway, two battery packs are really nice. It takes a lot of juice to throw out that much light. The bright light is definately a huge time saver when you are searching for something. Especially this time of year when days are so short.

Jogeephus":1kzksn5i said:

Wouldn't have been a problem for me, Jo. I figure I can walk on water faster that those creepy crawlers can swim through poopie. :shock:

Limomike":1d38pdvd said:
jfont":1d38pdvd said:
charge life is always short with those million or 2 million flashlights.
I have one, but doesnt last long enough. I still like the old 6 volt ones. They last for months on one battery.

Have a 12 million candlepower hand held that lasts 6 hours on one charge.

Go with the LED lights. They use much less power and are very lightweight.

I've got 4 kc spotlights on my pickup flatbed and in the middle of them i've got a go light that you plug into the pickup. they will light up tho whole county. then if i need to get out i've got rechargeable coon hunting light on a hat with a battery pack makes it real nice because i can use 2 hands to work. and dont have to set the spotlight down.

MikeC, you get 12 mill candle power out of an led ? Didn't think those would go that bright. What brand, and where'd you get it, I want one.

jfont":yhnyulaz said:
MikeC, you get 12 mill candle power out of an led ? Didn't think those would go that bright. What brand, and where'd you get it, I want one.

It's not an LED. It's an HID with the lithium battery. I had it mixed up.

MikeC":7vf0gcq9 said:
jfont":7vf0gcq9 said:

It's not an LED. It's an HID with the lithium battery. I had it mixed up.

12 million ought to light up the world. Regardless of type, like jfont I would like to know brand to put on my santa claus list for next Christmas.

Latest posts