Sports fans

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
Got to thinking about this the other day and couldn't get it out of my head. What are some great sporting events you've seen that will stick with you forever? Only rule is you had to see it as it happened live, either on TV or in person. Here's the ones I came up with:

Secretariat winning the Belmont by 31 lengths in 1973.

The 6th game of the 1975 World Series.

The US hockey team beating the Russians in the 1980 Olympics.

Illinois beating Michigan 16-6 in 1983 to all but assure a trip to the Rose Bowl. They also became the only team in Big Ten history to finish 9-0 in the conference.

Jack Nicklaus winning the Masters at age 46 in 1986.

Tiger Woods, at age 21, winnings the Masters by 12 strokes in 1997.

Dale Earnhardt winning the Daytona 500 in 1998.

Mark McGwire's 62nd home run in 1998.

My beloved Illini, down 15 points with 4 min to go, coming back to beat Arizona and get to the Final Four in 2005.

The 2008 Chicago Cubs winning the World Series. Oh wait, that hasn't happened yet. ;-)

The Boise State vs. Oklahoma college football game was the craziest game I've ever seen.

john250":2dzex1yi said:
I got to meet Secretariat, while he was at stud. Group tour of Claiborne Farm. That was one handsome horse.

Would have liked to have seen that. Oddly enough we toured Calumet Farm back in the early 60's. Saw Citation, who was the last horse to win the triple crown before Secretariat did it.

Evel Knievel jumping the Snake River Canyon. HaHa, just kidding. That is memorable for being such a disappointment. My most unforgettable sporting event was the '91 World Series between the Braves and Twins. All seven games were edge of your seat.

Texas A&M vs Texas Tech football game, I think the fall of '04. It was the year the Aggies ended up going to the Cotton Bowl. The game went to overtime and I was on the goal line 11 rows up. One the first play of overtime it looked like A&M's runningback was running right at me when he scored. And then 4 plays later when the A&M DB knocked the pass to end the game, that couldn't have been more than 20 yards from me. Kyle Field was going nuts!

Another. Texas A&M vs Texas in Softball. It was one of the last games of the regular season. Both teams were ranked in the Top 5 nationally, and the game was on ESPN. I sat right behind home plate as the Aggies won. Beat up on Cat Osterman pretty bad, scored like 6 runs off of her. Which is a lot for softball, especially that pitcher, who was on the U.S. Olympic or National team. It was one of those games were it seemed like every pitch was a critical part of the game.

Ryan