Speaking of spuds

Help Support CattleToday:

MillIronQH

Reaction score
Has anyone ever planted potatos in plastic barrels? I heard something about doing this a couple of years ago but I didn't have garden plans then and didn't pay a lot of attention. I remember the feller saying you could plant in layers.Z

Z, I think you can plant just about anything in a container, except maybe corn and perhaps even that too! I've read about planting in whiskey half barrels (but I'd prefer to grow the whiskey myself). Google "container gardening." I love growing stuff, hate weeding it. Didn't have a garden this past summer and am kicking myself.

Thanks... Ohio State listed several type that you can grow in a container.

I got to thinking about it the other day and Ive got about 20-25 protein tubs laying around that need a job. It would be easier to just turn the tub over and pick out the spuds then to have to dig them up. Probably less loss that way to.Z

Interesting ideas about growing potatoes. Got me to thinking for the Spring. As for preferences, here's mine: Russets are the best for french fries. No contest. Round reds or round whites are best for soups, stews, baking, and mashing.

i'M growing a garden this year and was researching stuff for it... My grandmother when i was young used to plant her taters, then, as soon as a sprout came up. she put a tire around it and filled it with soil .
she did this till she had about 3 tires high maybe 4. then all she did was knock the tires over when it was time to harvest. made it real easy....I'm also gonna do this but im using prootein buckets to... Finally they have a use...lol :cboy:

Latest posts