spastic paresis

Help Support CattleToday:

SHOWMOM

Reaction score
Hey I was hoping to get some info here. My son has been showing cattle for 6 years, and is really GOOD at it. (OK shameless plug). This year his steer has been diagnosed with spastic paresis. We had him about 1 1/2 months when we noticed something wasn't right. We've been treating this now and he has gotten better, but I was just curiuos if anyone else has ever had to deal with this. Any info would be appreciated, the steer has had surgery and is doing alot better. We wouldn't have done that but my son borrowed the money to pay for this steer so we had to do what we could to show him.
Any replies would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, spastic paresis isn't going to get better. The surgery might have helped a little, but if it helps in the long term it will be the first time I've ever heard of it really working.

How old was your calf when he developed it and how long since you bought the calf. I'd be having a real serious talk with the breeder about this situation. This is something they should be at least partially willing to "help" out with, especially if you paid a significant amount of money. The possibility of SP probably wasn't a surprise to them like it was you.

Unfortunately, we had a bull that started throwing calves with this condition. My best calves two years running were out of him, but he threw one calf each of the past two years that developed SP at about 60-90 days of age. Pathetic creatures that I wound up having to put down. I don't enjoy that. That bull went to the sale barn this fall because of it, even though he could raise calves that made the sale in exotic classes at Texas majors.

SP is spastic paresis. The best thing to do is a search on the internet for it. I'm not an expert on it, but did have to learn about it when we came up with our first case. It's not a clear dominant/recessive genetic defect from what I understand, but there is a genetic disposition + an "environment" link also.

I'd describe it as a nerve cramp that affects the back legs which causes a leg to spasm to the point they can't even put it on the ground. Their back legs get a swinging motion even when standing still. There are varying degrees. Its a terrible affliction that doesn't go away.

Basically its something that some straight legged show calves can get. Its not breed specific. It is also found in dairy cattle.

Latest posts