Sorry.. heifer with mucous question......

Help Support CattleToday:

b&langusfarms

Reaction score
I have a 17mth old black angus heifer. She weighs aprox 1000 lbs. She is open and set to be AId next month, not sure what her body score is but she is in great shape and looks awesome. My question is, that yesterday I noticed she was in heat and had a small string of mucous hanging down from her vagina. Then today I noticed her away from the others lying down, so I checked her and she was fine. She got up and expected me to hand feed her as usual...ha ha...I know but they think they are dogs. Anyway I noticed she had twice as much mucous hanging today and it was all over her butt where she had been swating her tail at flies. I am very new to all this and would like some input... Is that a normal thing when in heat????

b&langusfarms":6b8hmxe1 said:
I have a 17mth old black angus heifer. She weighs aprox 1000 lbs. She is open and set to be AId next month, not sure what her body score is but she is in great shape and looks awesome. My question is, that yesterday I noticed she was in heat and had a small string of mucous hanging down from her vagina. Then today I noticed her away from the others lying down, so I checked her and she was fine. She got up and expected me to hand feed her as usual...ha ha...I know but they think they are dogs. Anyway I noticed she had twice as much mucous hanging today and it was all over her butt where she had been swating her tail at flies. I am very new to all this and would like some input... Is that a normal thing when in heat????
yes thats normal when they come into heat.the reason that you noticed it is because she produced alot of mucus when she came into heat.most times you hardly ever see the mucus.even when you know they are in heat.

Thanks very much...
I am sure that was a silly question, but thats why I get on this board is to get the experiances of people who easily know lots more than me in the cattle business...

I actually called my vet's assistant (my AI tech) last night, because I had a heifer with a lot of mucous discharge and I guess I've been away from the cows too long... I know she's open, but I couldn't remember what that discharge was telling me about her status... so I called to ask and he said she'd probably come in heat in the next 24 hours. Well... she's standing now, and I'll take her to the clinic in the morning to get AI'd.

Latest posts