Sorgum-Sudan

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3pg3qk6c said:
Thanks for all the feed back I let you know in a month or two how well my farming experience is with millet and sudan.
What type soil do you have CB?

The sorghum Sudan does better in prairie (clay) type soils and the millet does better in sandy (loam) type soils.

Caustic, drilled my pearl millett in the ground today, I guess we'll see what it does? Only did four acres as a test so I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

i much prefer millet to sudan sorghum. have sandy loam here (well, where we plant that is). cows love to graze the millet and it will last a long time. they like the haylage ok. like DR said birds like it too.

sudan sorghum is what i have alwasy heard the prussic acid and nitrate poisoning horror stories about.

That's why we planted the millet 1. To give us some extra forage and 2. No acid. We are just testing it out this year, if it works then well maybe do more next year.

Caustic Burno":8ai5j061 said:
Texas Gal":8ai5j061 said:
Caustic Burno, please keep us updated on the millet's progress.

I think ever seed germinated and its all all up about 6 inches know it is just wait and see if it makes.

Which millet did you finally decide to plant,how much per acre.............good luck

Herefordcross":2jkqlizk said:
Mines up about three inches now, and we drilled in 12lb. to the acre as the bag said to. It looks like it's coming in pretty good.

When do yall get your first freeze ? Hopefully you will make a stand before it freezes,and if not you can turn your cows in on it..............good luck

Herefordcross":1moldvkz said:
Mines up about three inches now, and we drilled in 12lb. to the acre as the bag said to. It looks like it's coming in pretty good.

Well I put a few more seeds to the acre.
Secondly I have been gettin a rain every couple of weeks got a 1 3/4" yesterday. We are dry but nothing like so many on here that desperately need it. I live in the wettest county in the state we average 5" a month in a normal year.