Soon to be first calf heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

B Moore

Reaction score
I have eight heifers now about 13/14 months old, which I will add to the herd. They are cross breeds from a Hereford bull and Angus/Salers cows. Great body condition.

My question is: what are the criteria needed before bringing in the bull?

I have heard the age should be around 18 months and weight 800 to 900 pounds. I don't have scales as yet so will have to guesstimate the weight (by comparing the girls to their full-grown moms).

Thanks in advance...

14-15 months and approximatley 65% of their expected mature weight

dun

Ideally you want to breed them to calve about 24 mts old. I like to have my heifers bred by 15 mts old to achieve this. It all depends on the breed, size and maturity of your heifers though.

Thanks for the info. Looks like the girls are about to get a boyfriend. I saw the neighbor's bull taking notice this week. Gotta keep him at bay. Based on y'all's info will turn in our bull in June - presume that sounds reasonable. They are healthy with good condition and definitely about 65% of their mamas.

Now for the calving experience in 9 months or so.

May 20th would give you March 1st calves.

I got so anxious waiting and wondering what kind of calves I would get I didn't plan too well........ heifers started calving in Jan and Feb. (of course we've not had a Feb. like 2007 for several years). Needless to say, I won't do that again... and its entirely possible next February could be 70 degrees most days, but we won't have any heifers calving that month.

Also if you've got a feed store close by or grain mill....... go weigh empty truck and trailer and then with your heifers in it and you'll know what they weigh.

I agree with the Jan/Feb new borns, the weather can be difficult. But having said that, I keep hearing the sermon that that is the best time for calving.

Before I assumed the responsibility for this small operation from my father-in-law, I recall having to carry a newborn from a snow covered field some two hundred yards of so to the barn. I thought at the time 'that did not make a whole lot of sense.