Son's Second Deer

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, you have to agree, he's having a pretty good first hunting season. Got his mule deer, and today, they went out and got his Whitetail. A pretty nice buck, just out behind our yard. Deer let him get right up close, and just stood there for him. Got him on the first shot. Fortunately he fell to the west, or they'd have been fishing him out of the creek :lol2:

Anyways, here he is. 7 points on one side and 5 on the other. They haven't measured him yet.
xy_DSC01302.jpg

xy_DSC01303.jpg

I think they don't count the extra shoots, just the points, so he is a ten pointer .. I am no hunter though just remember from when my dad did.

Congrats to your son Randi.. :wave:

I feel that I should some how warn all the big game on your place that they could be next.. :help:

Awesome deer!!! No way he is 140 as previously estimated I would be generous and say 125. That'll score 125 points more than my first though :D

Tncattle467 you need to count agin. One eye guard is forked and one tine is forked. Nice buck your son got there Randi. Post a pic with his head turned just a little so the extra points ain't hid if you can.

hillsdown":1wyr1jam said:
I think they don't count the extra shoots, just the points, so he is a ten pointer .. I am no hunter though just remember from when my dad did.

Congrats to your son Randi.. :wave:

I feel that I should some how warn all the big game on your place that they could be next.. :help:

I don't know about that, I actually never counted the points, it's just what DH told me.

Thanks, HD.

We are just reducing the population a bit, we've got about 10-12 does and fawns that live in and around our yard. I don't mind them most of the year, but if we get much snow, they will invite all their friends and neighbour's over for a smorg.....

I'll let you know what he scores when they get him done. I'm sure that they will.

I will get another photo of him from off centre, just to prove the point :roll: ......

Whatever the case, he's a nice enough deer to keep my first (well second) time hunter happy til next year. :nod: :nod:

OK, here are some more shots of the antlers. You can argue semantics all day, but there ARE 7 points on one side..... I gather that they would be discounted when he is measured, from what DH told me.

Hubby figures he will score between 140 and 145.

xy_DSC01305.jpg

xy_DSC01308.jpg

No matter how many points, that would be a monster here. I realize your deer are larger than ours but you almost never see one like that here. Should be great memories for your son.

Very nice buck. He will gross score pretty well. I'm gonna take a stab at 135 to 140". He has good mass throughout, decent tine length and nice main beam length. G2's and G3'S are very respectable. Most folks who don't hunt northern deer usually under-judge the rack due to the big head and body size making the rack appear small. I hunt both northern bucks and southern bucks each year and have found myself under-judging the northern deer and over-judging the southern deer. I shot an 8pt northern deer with a bow a few years back that I thought would score in the 130's. When I actually got to the deer I could tell he was much bigger. He scored 154" officially. On the flip side a Tennessee deer that I shot looked huge. 13 points, mass and long main beams but upon harvest he dressed out at 100 pounds and only scored 137". He looked 150+ on that small body.

I looked at it a little closer and I will say its a 130 class. With all those split tines that buck would be the envy of every hunter on the farms I hunt.

randiliana":2hsvgeix said:
We are just reducing the population a bit, we've got about 10-12 does and fawns that live in and around our yard. I don't mind them most of the year, but if we get much snow, they will invite all their friends and neighbour's over for a smorg.....

LOL, no kidding Randiliana. This is the first year that I have even considered allowing hunting on our place, and if I see a deer or any other game even near my bales of hay they can kiss their butts goodbye.. :lol2:

Your son must still be beaming with pride, I bet your DH is very proud of him .. :D

hillsdown":37i1xe2i said:
randiliana":37i1xe2i said:

LOL, no kidding Randiliana. This is the first year that I have even considered allowing hunting on our place, and if I see a deer or any other game even near my bales of hay they can kiss their butts goodbye.. :lol2:

Your son must still be beaming with pride, I bet your DH is very proud of him .. :D

So far, we haven't had a huge problem with the deer. We've always had deer living in and around our yard. With all the trees and the creek nearby, it is inevitable. I enjoy them most of the time. But our neighbours about a mile away have had over 200 head winter in their stack, the last couple years, that is a bit close for comfort. It isn't what the deer eat that hurts so bad, but the amount that they ruin.

He is very happy, and both of us are quite proud of how well he has done!!

tncattle467":162rjlpl said:
randiliana":162rjlpl said:
Well, you have to agree, he's having a pretty good first hunting season. Got his mule deer, and today, they went out and got his Whitetail. A pretty nice buck, just out behind our yard. Deer let him get right up close, and just stood there for him. Got him on the first shot. Fortunately he fell to the west, or they'd have been fishing him out of the creek :lol2:

Anyways, here he is. 7 points on one side and 5 on the other. They haven't measured him yet.
xy_DSC01302.jpg

xy_DSC01303.jpg

I think you might want to count again. He is a 5x5 10 point buck. I have counted six times and each time got 5x5. I would say he is a 130-140 class deer maybe a little smaller. I would also say he is about 4 years old maybe 3.
Thats one happy young man. Good for him.
Tom.

Congratulations! I've been deer hunting for 10 years and haven't even seen a buck of that class. :?

A good kill. As Red Bull stated seldom see one here like that.
I checked in my first deer ever this year. I waited a long time to start hunting. It was no proble to fill tags. We did it in 3 days. There has been 28 killed on the place where I live and there are many time that left.

Latest posts