BD: 12/02/2005
ADJ WW 669
FS 6.2

DSC00939.jpg

Black Sahara
BD: 09/18/2005
ADJ WW 700
FS 7.1

Any critiques would be helpful. The kids are showing this year for the first time and we know nothing about showing. I know the second calf needs to lose some of its skin under the neck. Do they need more feed? We haven't learned to pose properly yet so forgive the pics. No illusions of winning first place, I just want the kids to learn the responsibility and joy of owning and caring for an animal.

edb130":1qzzfnuf said:
Any critiques would be helpful. The kids are showing this year for the first time and we know nothing about showing. I know the second calf needs to lose some of its skin under the neck. Do they need more feed? We haven't learned to pose properly yet so forgive the pics. No illusions of winning first place, I just want the kids to learn the responsibility and joy of owning and caring for an animal.

Have you talked to your county extension office? They are usually the headquarters for the local 4-H program and can help you with the rules and regulations of how to show.

What breed are these calves? Good luck with them this year! Showing can be a lot of fun and a great learning opportunity.

The first steer rolls off from hooks to pins a little, and the second steer slopes off as well. Both are a little fine boned and a little pinched in their heart girth. All in all the calves are OK. You're right about that second calf needing a bit of a sweat collar on him. Sullivan's supply has a great sweat collar. It works quickly. It's called the Maximizer, I think, and it's purple. Here's a link to their website. http://sullivansupply.com/

To your question, I'd say yes, keep pumping the feed to them to help them grow.

Good luck again with showing! If you're looking for any showmanship tips, here's the link to a topic posted earlier. There are a lot of great tips through all 3 pages of it. Happy trails! http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... howmanship

Jay

The first one looks like a heifer. :?:

IMO I dont really like them, theyre ok. Something about the second calf makes me not like him, maybe its the way he's standing..
They seem a little pinched and need a lot more feed. Fill them up and work with them and they should be good to go.

When will they be showing?

I think both these heifers have some potential. I dont see them being the next big thing, however I think they will be a great start for your kids. I think in the first year as long as they are gentle and the kids have fun, then it is hard to go wrong. As for conformation: I think the first one nees to be a little leveler hipped, and both could use some depth (that should come with some more age), and I think both are a heavier in the front end than i would like. I think they will be a good place to start for your kids. Good luck to them.

Ryan

Thanks for the reply's. Yes they are heifers, Limousin. As I said we have no illusions of winning, I just want the kids to get started and get the experience. As for 4-H we have the kids in it but they only meet once a month and sometimes its just a pool party (not there's anything wrong with that), they just haven't gotten a whole lot out of it yet. I didn't go and buy show heifers for my kids. I felt that they would learn more by raising calf's from our own very small herd and working with them. I have learned alot about my kids from this experience as well. My son doesn't really want to work with his calf everyday, too many other interests, but doesn't want to disappoint dad. Tried to convince him he didn't have to but he said he would try this year and then decide. My daughter loves working with her calf and if she gets proper instruction, could do very well showing in the future.

Actually, your view of your kids interest shows in the pics. I noticed the "pride" in your daughter.
They have good weaning weights, so just be sure to keep up the feed program to keep them growing, but NOT get fat. If the heifers lay in fat in their udders, they will be poor milkers as cows.
I show cattle, and there is a fine line between getting them "show" ready & getting them fat. They look to be typical Limo's. Little round butted & coarse fronted, but they are decent heifers to start out with.
I think your son's heifer is the best, maybe if he does well, it will encourage him.
I would stress SHOWMANSHIP. This is the most important class they will enter - IMO. This is based on the work they do with their calf. I would guess your daughter should do well in this class.
Here are some sites to check out:
http://www.geocities.com/bowieffa/homepage.html
http://www.ca.uky.edu/agripedia/agmania/
http://dallas.tamu.edu/fitandshow/
You can pick up the do's & don't's of showing.
I strongly believe that kids need the support of their parents if they will succeed in showing cattle - or anything in life. Keep up the support. Good luck.

I'm glad to see your son is willing to try even though he may not like it. I tried my 10 yo daughter last year boy was that a miserable year. The steer was like a dog so animal attitude wasn't the problem. Now this year my 8 year is in 4-H and she loves it. She has a steer and a heifer so far. She did real well at her first show. She's anxious for the next one.

Good luck and have fun.

Latest posts