Something we found in the back pasture..

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Devising a way to cut it into slabs. 7 ft at widest point. I think I have a idea on how to cut it..pretty excited

Craig Miller":28a7u006 said:
With one of these
We have a stack of those, but they aren't long enough. Just wait, we've come up with a really crafty idea on how to cut in slabs..

Rafter S":w2kbzx36 said:
The answer is right there in the picture you posted.

Lol. Yeah, just wait and see what I came up with. I'll document it of course.

What species of tree? The pictures are small. I cannot enlarge them. Are you selling the slabs or keeping them for yourself?

Bright Raven":1pnjwxzo said:
What species of tree? The pictures are small. I cannot enlarge them. Are you selling the slabs or keeping them for yourself?
It's a post oak. I want 2 slabs and if the rest come out ok we'll sell them.

cowgirl8":ngqyu6aj said:
Bright Raven":ngqyu6aj said:
It's a post oak. I want 2 slabs and if the rest come out ok we'll sell them.

Put some thought into how you want to use that burl. You have a very nice one and post oak have good qualities. You may not want to slab it. Think about a sculpture.

2w6i9us.jpg

I have about 100 more. Not this big though. The chair does give me good ideas. Son in law is taking scraps for knife handles.

We just had some conservation folks come out and talk to us about some dense woods we are improving. They explained to us what those are and they are money.

Who wants to buy these? Wood workers I'm guessing?

CaddoFarms":118snj1g said:
We just had some conservation folks come out and talk to us about some dense woods we are improving. They explained to us what those are and they are money.

Who wants to buy these? Wood workers I'm guessing?

Yes. They are prized by woodworkers due to the burling. Even the smaller ones make very striking bowls. https://www.artfulhome.com/product/Wood ... gKTv_D_BwE

cowgirl8":jk2r92s4 said:
Devising a way to cut it into slabs. 7 ft at widest point. I think I have a idea on how to cut it..pretty excited

I think he should use that hatchet on the skidder and you video it to see if he makes guess book :D

Husband ordered a long chainsaw bar, it should arrive today.. We have so much to do right now that i'm afraid its going on the back burner for now. But, I cant wait to cut it open...
Caddo, they are used for so many things. Son in law is going to make knife handles out of it. He's making his own vacuum stabilizer to process them in...I think he's more excited than we are. I knew this one was huge, but we didn't know just how big it was until we cut the tree down. It was pretty high up. I got a bunch of dotie wood hunks out of the tree trunk for carving....that too is on the back burner. The past afternoons I've had to babysit. And between time we've been milling up the wood for our ceiling.. i'm here but my brain is elsewhere....

Latest posts