Some of this years calves

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
With all the other rubbish going on of late I thought I'd help get things back on track and post some photos. I've been a bit lazy of late with wrestling with Photobucket.
K11 is by SAV Thunderbird and K16 is by a popular Australian sire Tuwharetoa Regent. Most of these have been born in July

We went into winter with very little feed after a very dry summer. We have had some reasonable rain in August and are just waiting for a bit of warmer weather to get some grass growing.

This calf in the front is one of a twin that was born earlier this week, its mate was nowhere to be seen this morning but eventually showed up mid morning in the next paddock. Both are heifers.

This is a SAV Thunderbird calf he is out of a heifer and was born early June.

K4 is also out of a heifer, that is his mother beside him. He is by an Australian sire who is by Predestined.

Great looking group of cattle . Once you get some grass there really going to add some pounds . thanks for sharing.

Ken, those are some really thick calves to be so young. They are deep in their girths and flank. They have long hips as well. I like what I see. Thunderbird did a good job as well as the other bulls. They look great and can't wait to see pictures of them as they age.

Had planned not to post anymore, but your cattle look so good and your pictures so beautiful until I just had to let you know. Thank you for sharing.

cow pollinater":220ce92o said:
I see a hot cow. :D When does your breeding season start?
Great pics, thanks for sharing.
Yeh I got her number, they are the first calvers and she should fit in with when I start in about 3 weeks. I put the cidrs in my heifers earlier in the week.
Yes Ron, I had to give a couple of those heifers a bit of a hand, they probably would have got it out by themselves given time and I lost one calf coming backwards and that one was a pull probably to the limit of my Dr Franks calf puller. I think it died due to the fact their was no head to engage the pelvis and so takes a long time for the feet to appear to give me an indication that I needed to take action.
I usually have no trouble with the heifers. I don't go to low BW bulls, I like to keep them to the middle of the range for the heifers but I think this year with the lack of feed I overdid the feeding of the heifers a bit. The Thunderbird calves did seem to come out easily though so I will go with him again with the heifers.
Thanks for all of the positive comments, I am very happy with this lot of calves and just hope that we have a bit of a season so they can grow to their potential.
Ken

In the 1st picture, there is a calf facing to the left that looks like a heifer. That looks like a super calf, although they all are. I have my eye on that one. What number is she and who is she out of?

Nice looking calves, plenty of potential there. Hope to see some more pics after your grass comes back, they look poised to really take off.

Chuckie":1qtrdc6d said:
In the 1st picture, there is a calf facing to the left that looks like a heifer. That looks like a super calf, although they all are. I have my eye on that one. What number is she and who is she out of?
Yeh Chuckie it is a heifer, K18.I will have to do DNA to verify parentage but I think it is by Thunderbird. You have a good eye though she is out of the same cow as J1 so I expect she will grow pretty well.
I forgot to answer one other question re our lettering. Yes I think all breed societies in Australia have the K for this year, certainly Angus Australia does. We seem to go it alone with our lettering, Dun told me some time ago that we were out of synch with the international lettering system but it would be difficult to change now.
Ken

If I had any calves like that at my place, I'd sell them all!

...for what would probably be a nice check. :D

I see we both use the same high dollar feed trough company as well. Nice calves.

EC

Black and Good":10uuyajz said:
Nice Cattle! The one I like is K16. Is K16 a bull or heifer? B&G
K16 is a bull calf, yeh he does catch my eye a bit. He is out of a cow I just bought this year in calf with him, she is out of a Gardens Highmark cow I already owned but is by BR Ambush and I have seen some very nice bulls out of Ambush cows.
I am very happy with how my herd is going as I have only put it together piecemeal, not intending to get into breeding bulls. I just kept buying two cows a year with the aim to increase the quality of my commercial cows but things have evolved to selling a few bulls that I prepare for a sale in July each year. I guess it is my way of showing my cattle, the buyers tell me whether I am on the right track or not by bidding on my bulls. There certainly is no money in the seedstock business the way I do it at the current prices but if they return to the levels of two years ago I might hit the break even point but I get a lot of satisfaction seeing them grow to their full potential plus it keeps me amused. When you are retired you biggest expense is entertainment and boy does this keep me entertained.
Ken