Some nostalgia

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39

Reaction score
Some thoughts of yesteryear...I think.

"I came across this phrase in a book yesterday ..."FENDER SKIRTS," a term I haven't heard in a long time; and thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice. Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs."

Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction, first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes"? At some point "parking brake" became the proper term, but I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."

Did you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore: "store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days, but once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy; or for those on the farm, store-bought milk !

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "world-wide" for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way"? It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply "expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day, and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now. "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day - "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

And here's a word I miss - "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker." How dull.
Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most- "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word-- invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Someone forwarded this to me. I thought some of us of a "certain age" would remember most of these. I AIN'T OLD-----I JUST BEEN HERE A LONG TIME..."

Just for fun.

Im a little younger than most on here only being 25, but I use some of those words you mentioned, foot-feed, store bought, and my favorite, icebox. My grandparents use these words regularly, and being around them, it has rubbed off. Britches, lever, (pronounced lee-ver) supper, break time, and many others. Hearing some of the stories of back then makes me wish I could have lived back then, sounded so much simpler than is nowadays.

csutton

How about "balk" for the empty ground between crop rows?
"Fistalowed and Spavined" for two work horse ailments. How about "draught" for a dip or drain in a field? I always liked "Yonder" for a ways off and "Reckon" for think or estimate.

My girls, age 10 and 14, get upset to hear someone call "Dinner" lunch or "Supper" dinner.

We have lost so much in the South with the coming of television and the computor. We now have pretenders but the real thing grows rare.

norriscathy":3a5mk5h2 said:
Wonder how many know what "Gee" and "Haw" mean?

Gee and Haw isn't an age thing, necessarily, is it? Maybe just a horse/mule/team thing? :)

Remember "dinner bucket"?
Tires were casings.
Anybody gotten a yankee dime lately?
I was grown before I understood that "dreackly" meant "directly"
Remember when hood ornaments looked like jet aircraft and weighed almost as much?
Remember the L&N Railroad?
What about aluminum Christmas trees?
Anybody's daddy ever put butch wax on your flat top haircut before you went to Sunday School?
"Pick one up and, uh, smoke it sometime."
Winston tastes good like a cigarette should.
I loved candy cigarettes that blew smoke out the end.
Son, this is gonna hurt me a lot worse that it's gonna hurt you.
Remember getting baby chicks in the mail?
Remember the Sears Farm and Ranch catalog?
Ever "kill" your best friend because James Arness shot that same man in the streets of Dodge City every week?
Remember when men went barbershops that had sports and hunting/fishing magazines?
You always got your neck shaved with a straight razor and hot lather at those barbershops.
Women always went to beauty parlors. Men never enterd them.
Did your 4-H leader teach you that the proper beef animal was to be brick shaped, short legged, and look like a cylinder when viewed from behind?
I couldn't wait to get a Zebco 33 like Daddy's.

Man, oh man....I could go on forever.

Hey Dun...had a necker knob on my '51 ford pick-up, still have one on my ollie, but for different reasons.
Still call it the ice box and like to listen to ball games on the radio in the barn on summer evenings with a cold beverage.
Had to explain to the grand kids why I call their feet clod hoppers.
Dinner use to the big meal of the day...at midday. Supper was a a big snack in the evening...mouth still waters when I think of the fresh bread with butter and course grained sugar. Honey was always on the table.
Buttermilk still gaggs me but my uncles loved the stuff. Can't stand the sight of skim milk, reminds me of the whey we would get back from the cheese dairy when they picked up the milk in the morning. Came in 55gal barrels complete with flys and other floating things, hogs loved it.
Still admire a good tuck & roll interior.
Need to put a sun visor above the winshiled of the truck, always thought that they looked great.
Enjoying the semi-retirement though Susie is hinting that I have to much time on my hands.
Dave Mc

Alot of those words are familiar and several we still use. We still eat supper and I still get baby chicks in the mail. People I work with think I make that up. One time when my chicks were supposed to be at the post office in the morning but were shipped on the second truck that came in to the post office in the after noon, I got the call at work to come by and get my chicks. So I told the lady that I worked with that I needed to run down to the post office, get my chicks and run them home to put them in the brooder. She thought this was a joke and wanted to know if she could come with me, she wanted to see live chicks coming in the mail. So I went to the counter, got my chicks and she held the box of chicks while I drove. She's still talking about the chicks coming in the mail and me dipping their beaks in the water to get them started drinking. Guess I better get back over yonder and go to work. ;-)

Latest posts