Some Good Cow Flesh

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I like this group. The War Party calf and Mom. Margo on the far left. The two open yearling heifers and two heifers due to calf in about two weeks. The cows in the background are all bred so the bull is getting some pasture time with them until he goes back to the bull pen.
Forgot one: Cow with the brown saddle is AI'd to Rimrock but I am keeping her close because she was the one with the high injury to the leg. Seems to be getting better.
63x1dh.jpg

what a lazy bunch ;) They look nice, but the cow on the right seems hollow as heck.

How'd Margo do making friends in the herd?

BTW: The cow with the Brown Saddle just had her calf weaned off her. It was killing her. The calf was born 3/16/14. Picture below. He is being shipped tomorrow as a steer I am guessing about 625.

Anyway, she is the first cow I have had that has lost weight. Notice how her pelvis is showing. Ironically, at a time when I am trying to reduce condition I am a little concerned about her. I weaned her calf a month ago at 5 months old.
Here is today's picture of her calf.
33b3beu.jpg

I weaned 2 weeks ago partly because some of my younger cows needed some condition... One in particular (Cenci, a 3 year old and good producer) has already noticeably regained back fat and smoothed out again... the first timers still need a little more though. I've noticed my paddocks last a LOT longer now that I weaned and sold most of the calves.. before weaning the cows at off 3 acres of DENSE alfalfa in about 10 days, Now they've been in a lighter 3 acre pasture for 10 days and still have a couple left.. It made a big difference in my winter feed outlook. I might do this more often, as it's still worth putting the calves back out on another pasture to graze before fall

Nesikep":1cq2kc2g said:
I weaned 2 weeks ago partly because some of my younger cows needed some condition... One in particular (Cenci, a 3 year old and good producer) has already noticeably regained back fat and smoothed out again... the first timers still need a little more though. I've noticed my paddocks last a LOT longer now that I weaned and sold most of the calves.. before weaning the cows at off 3 acres of DENSE alfalfa in about 10 days, Now they've been in a lighter 3 acre pasture for 10 days and still have a couple left.. It made a big difference in my winter feed outlook. I might do this more often, as it's still worth putting the calves back out on another pasture to graze before fall
I always reckon 1+1=3 when it comes to a cow and older calf graze close to the equivalent of 3 dry cattle.
Ken

Latest posts