Some chicken questions.

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
A little over 2 months ago my dad got some chickens at the local feed store.
Two New Hampshire Reds, a brown Danish, and he didn't check to see what the black one was,
I think it might be a Plymouth, but I'm not 100% so any guess would be great.
These are the first chickens we've ever had so,
about how long until they start laying eggs?
How many eggs a day will they lay?
How big will they get, and how big will their eggs be?
Any other chicken facts would be great to know<3
BIjkfZen.jpg

BIskLWWx.jpg

BIPkvaCX.jpg

Thank you<3

Congrats on your chickens! The black one looks like a Barred Rock to me. They should start laying between 4 and 6 months of age, different breeds mature at slightly different rates. Put them on layer mash by 4 months so they have calcium to start laying. The eggs will be small at first and get bigger as they go. They might slow down or quit laying when the days get short; you can give them 14 hours of light a day and trick them into keeping up production. If you feed them kitchen scraps and let them free range they will take less a lot less store bought feed. But you also risk losing them to dogs and varmints so use your judgement if your place is suitable for letting them run. If they don't get to free range they will need grit to utilize the kitchen scraps. If they are in a coop and just eat bagged chicken feed they don't need the grit.

MO_cows":u4y34wxu said:
Congrats on your chickens! The black one looks like a Barred Rock to me. They should start laying between 4 and 6 months of age, different breeds mature at slightly different rates. Put them on layer mash by 4 months so they have calcium to start laying. The eggs will be small at first and get bigger as they go. They might slow down or quit laying when the days get short; you can give them 14 hours of light a day and trick them into keeping up production. If you feed them kitchen scraps and let them free range they will take less a lot less store bought feed. But you also risk losing them to dogs and varmints so use your judgement if your place is suitable for letting them run. If they don't get to free range they will need grit to utilize the kitchen scraps. If they are in a coop and just eat bagged chicken feed they don't need the grit.
Yea, i'm think it's a barred rock as well.
What exactly is a layers mash, as of now we're feeding them granular feed.
Can i feed them any table scraps?
We've built them a nice coop where they can run around with a house they can go in and out of as they please.

they love spaghetti noodles and rice, most vegetables, and bread. just dont give them too much salty food. i dont give mine meat (especially chicken) but they eat rats and snakes and frogs and dog poop and cat vomit, etc.

Congrats on your chickens! They can be very entertaining!
You can give them just about anything to eat. They won't eat banana peel, and I'm told they don't like citrus, but I've never tried. No avocado peel, it's toxic. Mine are especially fond of dandelion greens. They'll almost break into a fight over a bug. They adore most all greens. Mine don't get thrilled over celery, carrots and asparagus, unless they're cooked (to soften). And pasta seems to be like manna from heaven. They love dairy... yogurt and sour milk especially.
The black striped is most likely a Barred Rock, will start to lay at 20-24 weeks, med/large brown egg,
about 4 eggs per week. It's a large bird, around 6 lbs.
New hampshire Reds will lay at around 18-22 weeks, large brown eggs, 4-5 /wk. Weight 6 lbs
Not familiar with the brown Danish, so can't help there.
Layers mash is small crumbles with a protein content of 16%, which is the minimum they need for ideal production. There is also 20% available in crumble or pellet, which will allow you to mix scratch or corn with their ration, which they love, but it's a bit like kids & candy. I sell my eggs, so maximum production is important to me, but so are calm & happy hens. I give mine 24-27% game bird/turkey ration, mixed 1:1 with scratch or corn, free choice, along with all the weeds, grass, & scraps they want mid-day, after I know they've consumed enough of the higher protien stuff.
Don't forget the oyster shell for extra calcium once they do start laying.
My birds don't like the pellets. They'll eat everything else

MO_cows":2lknxi6w said:
That black one might be a Dominique, here is a link to a photo of one:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/ ... 851411.jpg
Agreed Dominique. ALso che www.http://feathersite.com

Chickens only lay 1 egg in a 24 hour period. I have been told to never make them lay earlier than 5 months of age in order for them to be mature enough ... you don't want blood spots in your eggs.
Also, wait till you see the first egg, then give them oyster shell or layer feed. Mine love their feed dampened with water. Feeding oats will help with egg production. Agreed, first eggs will be small and gradually get larger. Size depends on parent line and size of egg your chick hatched out of. Hopefully you have hens and not roosters. By the way, mine love banana peels and watermelon and canteloupe. They really Love yellow squash.. we froze extra and thawed it out during the winter for a treat.
Have fun with your girls!
Valerie
PS. It is illegal to feed "meat" to chickens. I suppose for your own use no one would probably say anything but you can't sell them if you do. Mad Cow disease has caused that law to be implemented.

Knowing where Gabby is it's probably a Barred Rock. I'm in the same area and I've been looking for Dominique and no one has seen them for a good while. Look at the white part of the chicken. If it's a flake its Dominique. If it's a bar it's Barred Rock. I can't really tell from that picture.

The chicken in question is a Barred Plymouth Rock-note the single comb. The Dominique is the first American breed admitted to the Poultry Standard. The Barred Plymouth Rock was developed from the Dominique, it is a larger bird and lays better. The Dominique has a Rose comb. Your brown egg breeds should start laying somewhere around 5-6 months old. The Danish brown Leghorn (white eggs) will start around 4 1/2 5 months old.

slick4591":37l6ceqv said:
Knowing where Gabby is it's probably a Barred Rock. I'm in the same area and I've been looking for Dominique and no one has seen them for a good while. Look at the white part of the chicken. If it's a flake its Dominique. If it's a bar it's Barred Rock. I can't really tell from that picture.

Try the Preservation Center at Calamus Iowa.
Valerie

slick4591":281ryr2i said:
Great, Valerie. Thanks!

Your welcome. They are very nice folk and do a great job of keeping the breeds pure. They are not a cheap hatchery and you do have to buy straight run only. It's well worth the price to get what you ordered. They also have heirloom seeds at their site.
Valerie

Rustler9":jqcqybya said:
The chicken in question is a Barred Plymouth Rock-note the single comb. The Dominique is the first American breed admitted to the Poultry Standard. The Barred Plymouth Rock was developed from the Dominique, it is a larger bird and lays better. The Dominique has a Rose comb. Your brown egg breeds should start laying somewhere around 5-6 months old. The Danish brown Leghorn (white eggs) will start around 4 1/2 5 months old.
I don't recognize any of them wearing feathers instead of "batter".

TexasBred":1a1on3ca said:
Rustler9":1a1on3ca said:
I don't recognize any of them wearing feathers instead of "batter".

TB, I don't think the drumsticks are big enough yet! :lol:
Valerie

Latest posts