Some cattle pics

Help Support CattleToday:

oakcreekfarms

Reaction score
IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

These pics are of our calves that are getting ready to be weaned. I would guess they are in the 650-700lb range. They have all been on grass all summer with mineral.

nice calves. how much do your cows weigh and in what state are you located?

This is pretty much my first year with the registered herd. Hopefully we will only get better from here with better management year round. Our cattle range in sizes, 2 year olds are right at 1200, 3-4 year olds are around 1250-1300. And have one extra large female that is right around 1700. Here is a pic of her, and some other females.
IMG_3435.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

And this is a commercial cow with a braxton giant calf at side
IMG_3455.jpg

By the way the big cow will most likely be flushed to SHF marshall this year, she is bred AI to bennet m326 right now. We would like to buy some more commercial cows this next spring for recips if anyone knows where some are around Kansas. By the way we are 30 minutes north of wichita Kansas. This will be our first go round with flushing a cow, so we will see how it turns out. Polled herefords are a huge passion of mine, and maybe sometime in the distant future I will make enough money at it to be my main income. Right now a dog breeder/trainer will do.

That is a very impressive bull calf nursing on that cow, judging from only that rearview picture.

The bull calf nursing, is the same as the one in the third picture on top. He is a governor son out of a HVH reba cow

oakcreekfarms, I really like the cow in the first picture. How is she bred?

Marshall is on my short list of bulls to use AI. I saw him when he sold in Denver and have been waiting to see some progeny and data before I used him.

George

Where did your cows come from (breeder)? The Marshall cattle are good cattle, there is a fairly large group of daughters in production in Western Oklahoma.

Every cow we have bought from Red Hill farms production sale. The cow in the first pic and the big one in the second grouping of pics are both HVH cows. The top cow is a nice producing cow out of C&L hard wood a son of remitall hollywood. I wish her epd's would be better, but she is doing well for us so far. Her bull calf could have been a little bit bigger, but he will be a nice heifer bull for someone.

The big cow is a daughter of MSU MF hudson and a daughter of CMF victor 262D. Her heifer calf is really nice and really big. She had a 111% weaning ratio and her daughter will have at least that for us.

The other cow as I stated before is a emblem 108D x HVH reba z32 62E a donor cow for K-K. She has weaned off two calves 50% of he weight or better.

Marshal is a great bull that is throwing moderate birth weight, great weaning and yearling weights. His daughters have great udder quality and milk flow. One of the best cows Mr.Schultz has on his place is a full sister to marshal. Marshal should be on top of everyone's list of AI sires for cows. Even for purebred angus breeders looking for great recip cows, marshall is the one to breed to.

Every Hard Wood that I've seen I have really liked. I'm surprised the bull hasn't been used more. I guess his milk EPD has held him back.

HVH had a cow with a Hard Wood heifer calf on her that sold in the All-Star Sale(Sherman, TX) a few years back that I should have bought. Shafer Ranch bought the pair and the cow is now a DOD.

LaGrand also has a Hard Wood daughter in their sale coming up that I like.

That's good to hear about Marshall's daughters. His daughters' preliminary numbers on his progeny report were only showing a 94% WW ratio (2 calves) and that kept me from buying a package on him to use this winter. I was hoping that those preliminary numbers weren't an indication of how his daughters were going to perform.

George

oakcreekfarms":1zgwqh0u said:
By the way the big cow will most likely be flushed to SHF marshall this year, she is bred AI to bennet m326 right now. We would like to buy some more commercial cows this next spring for recips if anyone knows where some are around Kansas. By the way we are 30 minutes north of wichita Kansas. This will be our first go round with flushing a cow, so we will see how it turns out. Polled herefords are a huge passion of mine, and maybe sometime in the distant future I will make enough money at it to be my main income. Right now a dog breeder/trainer will do.
Don't you find a 1700 lb cow a little large? Do you know her frame score? Personally, we're aiming for nothing larger than 1400 lbs for a cow, unless they're extra fleshy.

She isn't any taller then the one in the first pic. She just weighs more, and she has only seen grass and mineral. She doesn't over eat, but she keep tremendous condition and weans huge calves. I guess what more could you ask for. I am hoping to get a bull calf out of her to take to denver in years to come.

By the way marshall now has over 100% WW ratio, and YW ratio. HIs calves are among some of the biggest. He has like a 56 ww epd with a good accuracy.

Latest posts