some advice for my son's next steer

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmgirl

Reaction score
This is my son's steer for our county fair that we had in August. This was his first one and I would like opinions and advice for next year's steers. So please critique all you want.

Both are taken two weeks before our fair.

steer.jpg

grillmaster1.jpg

Did you raise him?
He looks well finished. Location has a lot to do with the type of steer you choose to compete at the county level. Some counties are just more competitive than others.

Looks like you and your son did a fine job feeding him. ;-)

He's really course shouldered.. generally they like a more sleek and streamlined front end, longer neck, more slope to the shoulder. But he is finished nicely! You did good!

no we didn't raise him, he came from a steer pool. We have only just begun raising our own cattle. My son goes next month to pick from the steer pool again. Though he is going to show another steer through 4-h. What is course shouldered?

Lilfarmgirl

lilfarmgirl":g7e5eafg said:
no we didn't raise him, he came from a steer pool. We have only just begun raising our own cattle. My son goes next month to pick from the steer pool again. Though he is going to show another steer through 4-h. What is course shouldered?

Lilfarmgirl

It's COARSE shouldered. It means his shoulders and neck don't connect very well. He's not that bad. I'll agree he's finished very well. How'd he do in the show? What did he weigh? Is he an Angus?

This guy needs a longer neck and smaller head. He's awful thick in the shoulders. I think he could use a bit more length for his depth. From the pictures, it looks like he's stiff, as in movement. His rear legs could be straighter. You know a thick hair coat would cover up a lot of his faults. :lol:

He looks like he has pleanty of angus in him. He did finish out very nicely though. But he is Coarse (we call it rough) shouldered. And he has a verry short neck if he had hair you could have clipped that tight and made the apperance that he had a longer neck. On show steers the head dosn't really have an effect on where he is placed but it would be nice to have a more bullier shaped head i think this calf had a bit of a cow head. i do thing he needed just a bit more length. but he has pleanty of depth for me. Nice calf though other than those few things i like him.

My son placed 4th in his class, the steer weighted 1359 and is angus. His movements were not stiff, we let him out in the field to get exercise as well as walking him. He was not allowed to do any grooming, only clipping before going to the fair. Though I do think he might have stiffened up a little while at the fair, he wasn't used to being tied and laying down all the time. We walked him at home to keep him loosened up. So when he goes and looks for a steer, other then nice square frame, straight legs (as straight as you can get), is there anything else he needs to look at? He has 15 minutes to walk through 3 pens and pick one out of 60 or so.

Lilfarmgirl

do you have to buy out of the pool or not? if you don't i would go find one somewhere else. good finish on the calf though.

we have to buy from the pool, it is to give all the kids an even playing field. He is showing another one through 4-h so it will be of better quality. It is a simmi-shorthorn mix. Steer pool and 4-H are different groups, but both show at the same fair.

Lilfarmgirl

A very nice topline. As already said coarse in the shoulder. A little light in heart girth.IMO. All in all, a nice steer. Congrats to your son.

thanks for the link, that will help when he goes next month to pick his steer pool steer. IT also helps me so I know what to look for.

Lilfarmgirl

Latest posts