Sold some calves

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, weaning time is here for us, and for the next couple weeks we will be weaning/selling calves. We sent our first bunch to the sale today. Had 20/34 steers sorted into the same (one owner) group. They averaged 593 lbs (shrunk weight) so we were quite happy with that. The other steers and a few smaller heifers were all graded. The big steers brought us $700 and almost topped the sale, but the others were mostly in the $600-$650 range. The market sure seemed down today, and the heifers were about 0.20 cents off the steers. We even no saled some of ours. 576 lbs at under $1.00 just didn't seem right. Obviously they weren't the cream of the herd, but they weren't that bad. There sure were a lot of dinky calves in the sale though, heck there was one group that weighed 228 lbs, and they weren't babies either :shock: .....

thast not good 1.00 we just sent steer 876 broguth 1.12 sent a heifer with him weigheed 716 brought 1.14 usually the less the way the more they cost

The guy across the road just topped the sale here with 6wts at $1.67 - just 20 or so of them though.

Haven't been to the barn myself but it seems white is right.

AngusLimoX":1fdoz96x said:
The guy across the road just topped the sale here with 6wts at $1.67 - just 20 or so of them though.

I find that hard to believe.

Wewild":1omxhgqz said:
AngusLimoX":1omxhgqz said:

Me too, heck even the 300 lbers weren't close to that here....

AngusLimoX":1n0d5v85 said:

What's that in US dollars?

dun

randiliana":3leh685z said:
Wewild":3leh685z said:
AngusLimoX":3leh685z said:

Me too, heck even the 300 lbers weren't close to that here....

I suspect were going to get a ...oopps..... I really meant. Or then we may get nothing.

I like to use the Cuero(TX) market report because 1. It's a Friday sale and 2. It is a good model for what's happening at other sales in the area.Z

6-700 steers $95-111
bulls 94-106
hiefers 92-106

^700 steers 93-100

Seems like when the grain prices are going through the roof the cattle prices are down. Good time to sell the grain, but cattle? Not really...

I sold a few 500-600lb steers this past week and got 1.04.

Not great but /shrug.

The only beefers that brought more for the same weight were a handful of baldies. The few Angus i saw didn't bring anymore than my Herefords.

This was just a weekly sale though in dairy country.

Wewild":3f77a3vs said:
I suspect were going to get a ...oopps..... I really meant. Or then we may get nothing.

You won't find me backing down from too much I say, and if I end up being wrong,I admit it. Maybe you operate differently.

http://www.hoardstnsalebarn.ca/

The sale I spoke of must have been the one before this link, but it was printed in the local rag, and there was no mistake.
My neighbour ran one of the largest and most successful dairies around here until he retired 15 years ago or more. Now he runs char cross cattle and cash crops. He knows how to send fancy steers to the barn.

You are right glover, market was down a bit last week. Down to 1.53 for the top steer. :lol:

Those are Cdn funds dun - about 0.86 US?

AngusLimoX":s7fxraxz said:
Wewild":s7fxraxz said:

You won't find me backing down from too much I say, and if I end up being wrong,I admit it. Maybe you operate differently.

http://www.hoardstnsalebarn.ca/

The sale I spoke of must have been the one before this link, but it was printed in the local rag, and there was no mistake.
My neighbour ran one of the largest and most successful dairies around here until he retired 15 years ago or more. Now he runs char cross cattle and cash crops. He knows how to send fancy steers to the barn.

You are right glover, market was down a bit last week. Down to 1.53 for the top steer. :lol:

Those are Cdn funds dun - about 0.86 US?

Some how I can't read well enough or understand you. It seems the 1.53 was not in the same weight range as you stated before. It would be nice to see the paper. Can you scan it in?

We had six 550 pounders bring 1.12.

I can understand the dollar conversion.

AngusLimoX":20dzpep6 said:

Did you see this wewild? This is US funds.
BRG":20dzpep6 said:
Today in Mobridge, SD a customer (Bickle Ranch) sold their open Red Angus heifer calves. We were contending bidders but did not get them. He sold a load weighing 546lbs and they left the ring at $1.68 or $917 a heifer. Congradulations Jack!!!

ollie'":3men0d78 said:
AngusLimoX":3men0d78 said:

Did you see this wewild? This is US funds.
BRG":3men0d78 said:
Today in Mobridge, SD a customer (Bickle Ranch) sold their open Red Angus heifer calves. We were contending bidders but did not get them. He sold a load weighing 546lbs and they left the ring at $1.68 or $917 a heifer. Congradulations Jack!!!

No I missed it or forgot it. Was this a while back? Point me to it.

Wewild":7sbhxo8u said:
AngusLimoX":7sbhxo8u said:

I get the feeling that must have been a pen of outstanding heifers that some folks couldn't put their hands down on. Pre-BSE, prices up here were at record highs, and good 8 weight steers would bring home a little better than $1100 Cdn. I had some 8's go $1.42.

Sure do miss them days. :)

Rod

Latest posts