Sold out

Help Support CattleToday:

Poundsy

Reaction score
Well for the last couple years I have been screwing around with some cows and finally last week it came to an end. The property next to us came up for sale and the only way I could swing the deal was to sell it all. Now all I have is a head chute,corral,1tractor, and a big empty pasture. Two guys that I know very well came down and bought all the cows with calves at side,the tractors,feeders and hay. Another neighbor bought the bull. The good thing is that I get to start from scratch, thinking of going with some chars this time. Sad but happy at the same time.

I think you made a smart move. With a little patience this bubble will probably pop and you will be able to buy back for a lot less. Old cattleman once told me the only time you really make money in cattle is when you sell the herd. He's done it several times so I think there is some truth to his words. You might also want to treat yourself to a vacation. Probably be the first time in a long time you will be able to go somewhere without worrying about the cows getting out. Can't imagine how that would feel but I'm thinking it would be sweet.

Congrats on the land purchase. Like Jo said about patience, you could get back in for a lot less. The question is, now that the deals done, do you feel relieved or anxious. Thats how I know if I did the right thing after the fact.

Cattle are high and realestate is low . . . . sounds like sound business principles at work.

angus9259":1tlscza0 said:
Cattle are high and realestate is low . . . . sounds like sound business principles at work.

I was thinking along those lines as well. They saw an opportunity and took it! Makes sense to me. And if cows are thick in your blood, it won't be too long before there are a couple cows back on that land.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2qoxpli3 said:
angus9259":2qoxpli3 said:

I was thinking along those lines as well. They saw an opportunity and took it! Makes sense to me. And if cows are thick in your blood, it won't be too long before there are a couple cows back on that land.

Katherine

I agree :tiphat: :tiphat: .

Larry

Workinonit Farm":3a49eurt said:
angus9259":3a49eurt said:

Katherine
I agree. Land is almost always a good investment. U did good

angus9259":1k184fie said:

That's my thoughts exactly! Congrats on expanding your farm! :tiphat:

starting over right now could be very costly.you might be wise to wait 2 or 3yrs an see if the cow prices drop.

yup i agree land is usually never a bad investment. just think 20 or 30 years from now you will be sitting there full of your own cattle thinking man im glad i bought this when i had the chance cause boy with price of land nowadays.

Poundsy":3b9uoggg said:
Well for the last couple years I have been screwing around with some cows and finally last week it came to an end. The property next to us came up for sale and the only way I could swing the deal was to sell it all. Now all I have is a head chute,corral,1tractor, and a big empty pasture. Two guys that I know very well came down and bought all the cows with calves at side,the tractors,feeders and hay. Another neighbor bought the bull. The good thing is that I get to start from scratch, thinking of going with some chars this time. Sad but happy at the same time.

Hard to go wrong when you can buy the land adjoining your place. Should increase the value of both places.

Lon":258ndebl said:
yup i agree land is usually never a bad investment. just think 20 or 30 years from now you will be sitting there full of your own cattle thinking man im glad i bought this when i had the chance cause boy with price of land nowadays.

Yeah, and the kids or grandkids will be wondering why you didn't buy more when it was so cheap. :lol2:

my nephews have their eye on a place or 2 next to or close to ours.an i told them to start working toward buying them,as i figure they will be up for sale sooner or later.but i doubt they will ever buy another farm.

Latest posts