Sold a few today.

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Was time to round up any dry cows and a handful of fall yearling steers to go to town before the bottom falls out of the market here.

$2 CDN is $1.52 US
$0.80 CDN is $0.61 US

IMG-20190905-184529.jpg

IMG-20190906-093206.jpg

IMG-20190906-180540.jpg

IMG-20190906-124331.jpg

IMG-20190907-2217001.jpg

Nice corral Aaron.

Some demand for yearling here. Better 7 wt steers were U$S 1.39 to 1.49. Light bawling calves appear to be as much as U$S 0.30 cents lower than last fall.

When do your wet cull cows go?

Stocker Steve said:
Nice corral Aaron.

Some demand for yearling here. Better 7 wt steers were U$S 1.39 to 1.49. Light bawling calves appear to be as much as U$S 0.30 cents lower than last fall.

When do your wet cull cows go?

Light bawling calves were as hot as last year, $2.30-2.40 ($1.75 - $1.82 US) , see if that holds for rest of fall.

Wet cows will go when calves go on Nov 2. Hopefully cows are only down 10 cents by then, not 20 or 30. Not that I have many to go - maybe 4.

Stocker Steve said:
Ran some 2019-2020 cow/calf gross margin numbers. Need cheap feed to make them positive.

Only the odd producer around here has caught on too that. Can't make wrapped feed and expect it to pencil out for old beef cows. But most don't care. They want their animals to 'look good' even if they sell for a loss.

Were the cows open or old or both I wish I could find me 4/5 more young heavy bred herford cows right here local to add into my herd with out going to a salebarn

DCA farm said:
Were the cows open or old or both I wish I could find me 4/5 more young heavy bred herford cows right here local to add into my herd with out going to a salebarn

Either slipped their calves, or had calves born dead. One was an old cow that lost twins this spring. Had lots of grass so let them enjoy the summer here.

Took some steers to the sale on Friday. Weaned, and several were over 600 which was a bit of a surprise because we were thinking mostly low 5 wts. They were down about .20 from a couple weeks ago and talk is they are going to get lower.... Got 1.41 for one that was a nice single @ 510 lbs; there were 3 @610 lbs brought 1.21; a couple at 630 that brought 1.23; 2 @ 540 brought 1.27. That sized steer was in the mid 1.40's in late August. Son said there were alot in the .90's; and heifers were in the .70's to 1.00 for the very best.... Not going to be a good fall. Had 2 cow calf pairs there. One was a "one and done" old cow with a new bull calf brought $450; son bought a bigger red wf cow with a blk heifer calf; cow weighed maybe 11-1150 and calf about 175 -200 lbs for $525. One steer bought the pair so don't think we will be hurt. Haven't run her through the chute as I had to work yesterday, but will this afternoon I guess. Cow could use some weight and we have some grass a couple of places so ought to do okay. But talk by the buyers was it is going to go lower when the fall calves start coming in.
There were only about 550 head when normally they run 1,000 plus, through there on a friday, near 2,000 in the spring and fall runs. It is starting to get dry here, we didn't get any of the hurricane this far inland, and was hot until this past week. Spotty rain, but has been tapering off. Maybe get some at the end of this week. Corn crops are drying up in a hurry, many are about half way or more done chopping. 2nd cutting hay has been very short due to the heat and getting dry. Lot of weeds this year too.

farmerjan Had 2 cow calf pairs there. One was a "one and done" old cow with a new bull calf brought $450; son bought a bigger red wf cow with a blk heifer calf; cow weighed maybe 11-1150 and calf about 175 -200 lbs for $525. [/quote said:
Why don't they split the pairs for more money?

Aaron said:
Stocker Steve said:
Ran some 2019-2020 cow/calf gross margin numbers. Need cheap feed to make them positive.

Only the odd producer around here has caught on too that. Can't make wrapped feed and expect it to pencil out for old beef cows. But most don't care. They want their animals to 'look good' even if they sell for a loss.

I like good looking cows too. I just put a couple poor keepers on the trailer each fall. :cowboy: Often they are old, sometimes they are teenagers, and a few have too much milk in the woodpile. Overfeeding the herd because 5% need more is crazy.

Stocker Steve said:
farmerjan Had 2 cow calf pairs there. One was a "one and done" old cow with a new bull calf brought $450; son bought a bigger red wf cow with a blk heifer calf; cow weighed maybe 11-1150 and calf about 175 -200 lbs for $525. [/quote said:
Why don't they split the pairs for more money?

The little new bull calf wouldn't have brought $50 and the old cow might have brought $300.... cull cow prices are dropping below .50 and she didn't weigh 1,000 son said. The bigger pair might have brought the same, but the heifer calf wouldn't have brought $150 and the cow about $400, so a toss up. Watched a couple bull calves pulled off cows that were put in the cull pen and they couldn't get $125 each. It is falling off here pretty bad. And this is from a couple different markets in the area.

I pulled 2 of my cull cows out of the pasture and sold them a couple weeks ago, kept their calves in the corral with good food.. I figured the cow price was going to tank much faster than those calves were gaining, There's not much for calf buyers at the auctions here right now so I'd have taken a hit selling them at that sale.. Sell the rest of the calves Oct 1st

Stocker Steve said:
Nesikep I pulled 2 of my cull cows out of the pasture and sold them a couple weeks ago said:
Good move. I will try to corral a couple of that kind tomorrow.

When I was doing the one and done I would ship all the cows the last week in August. I weaned the calves by shipping the cows. The calves would be 45 days weaned in time for a special feeder sale in early October.

Usually August is a good time to sell cows and bulls (at least in these parts), as long as the calves are healthy and big enough to be weaned, I think it's a good move

The sale today was a wreck. Some yearlings sold OK, but calves were down 30 to 40 cents from last week. Two local traders were bragging that they sold out last week. One sold calves a month early, and the other sold all his cows and calves.

Now seeing some dispersals. Usually small herds of 15 to 25 cows. I spoke to two owners. They said they were out of grass and it was time to retire. I was tempted by a couple of their bred wf cows, but my calculator said they would lose money with current hay and calf prices...

Shiny black heifer calves were U$S 500 to 600. Sell the bred cow for $1,000 and retain a $550 heifer calf? :cowboy:

Stocker Steve said:
The sale today was a wreck. Some yearlings sold OK, but calves were down 30 to 40 cents from last week. Two local traders were bragging that they sold out last week. One sold calves a month early, and the other sold all his cows and calves.

Now seeing some dispersals. Usually small herds of 15 to 25 cows. I spoke to two owners. They said they were out of grass and it was time to retire. I was tempted by a couple of their bred wf cows, but my calculator said they would lose money with current hay and calf prices...

Shiny black heifer calves were U$S 500 to 600. Sell the bred cow for $1,000 and retain a $550 heifer calf? :cowboy:

Wow! Wonder what is driving the market down. Trying to decide if we should sell our calves or not...... Now i'm really torn.

Just got the check for my 2 cows.. one was 1010 lbs and $85cwt (she looked like a can of smashed arseholes), one was 1200 and $83cwt, decent looking but nothing special, both open/cull
Bull got $1.06 and was 2250 lbs

Prolapse cow, the 1200 lb one

This one didn't breed back well, just never really had enough appetite to keep up with her milk, that's her calf with her at about 160 days, not too shabby but don't like the build of either of them.. definitely wasn't a hard choice!