Solar chargers

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I just bought these (Fi-Shock SS-440 Fence Eergizer, 5 mile range. Zareba SP10B, 10 mile range) $70 for both in good used condition. Anyone have experience with them? I haven't even ever setup and electric fence, not even sure how to do it. The property already has barbed wire but I thought about putting a single hot wire around it also.

The Zareba should be good but have not use the other one. A very good ground is the secret to a good electric fence. 8ft ground rod minimum.

tncattle":1jp2ql1h said:
I just bought these (Fi-Shock SS-440 Fence Eergizer, 5 mile range. Zareba SP10B, 10 mile range) $70 for both in good used condition. Anyone have experience with them? I haven't even ever setup and electric fence, not even sure how to do it. The property already has barbed wire but I thought about putting a single hot wire around it also.

I have a Zareba 10b and it's good. I also have the 3b and it's a joke.

kenny thomas":3s08tibo said:
The Zareba should be good but have not use the other one. A very good ground is the secret to a good electric fence. 8ft ground rod minimum.
If you can't get a ground in that deep( i don't),you can use two or three in tandem about 10' apart or dig down 2' or so and lay them flat.

I've tried the solar charged electric fencers on a couple of occassioins. I'm just not really impressed with their longevity. I think I do better with a striaght 12 volt car battery powered fencer.

ToddFarmsInc":2tl4hugz said:
I've tried the solar charged electric fencers on a couple of occassioins. I'm just not really impressed with their longevity. I think I do better with a striaght 12 volt car battery powered fencer.
Depends on the solar part. Mine runs off of a standard battery but has a separate solar panel that keeps it charged

I have the Zabera SP-30, 30 mile solar charger. It works, but I can hold the wire and it just kinda shocks you. I find it hard to believe a cow is deterred by it. I have however been using it for the last 3 months, and it does not appear than any of my cows or the bull have even dared to touch it. So I guess they respect it a bit. ( I only use it as cross fencing internally, or to keep them out of grass I am saving) I would NOT use it as the sole exterior fence.

I put another SP-30 on our heifer calves as of this weekend. They did not respect it when I had range cubes on the other side....went right through the two wire system I have been using. They all got shocked and jumped when I put the cubes out, but by the end of the day none had crossed back to the other side. Hopefully once is all it took. Ill find out Wednesday when I go check on them. I am hoping they respect it b/c if they don't they might get bred to early, and I dont want or need to deal with that. If they are mixed in Wednesday I will have to load the bull and move him, and I really dont want to do that.

One thing to think about. The larger gauge wire that you use the more current you can pass over a longer distance with less voltage loss. I electrified a 12.5 gauge high tensile alumnized steel cable for my top line, and then a cheap 17 gauge line for the bottom line. If I detach the bottom line, there is very little drop over the 1.2 miles I am charging on the top line. If I detach the top and charge the bottom, there is about a 25% drop on the 17gauge wire, and I have nothing touching the fence.

A steel well head is the best ground you can get, if you happen to have one close by. If not, a grounding rod in a stock tank is good too.

I have had to change batteries in one of my solar units. Other than that, they resolved some problems with bulls fighting.

backhoeboogie":3tx622r5 said:
A steel well head is the best ground you can get, if you happen to have one close by. If not, a grounding rod in a stock tank is good too.

I have had to change batteries in one of my solar units. Other than that, they resolved some problems with bulls fighting.
Something ran the neighbors heifers a week or so ago and they busted down his hotwire and jumped a field wire fence and came over to our place. 2 of them were in heat and riding like crazy. I found our bull standing about 5 feet for the temp polywire admiring the girls but he never got any closer then that. After we put the heifers back he walked the polywire for a while then gave up and came back up and checked out all of our bred cows. The poly is carrying around 6.8k volts

Dun. I understand. Mine are not so much to keep my cows in. They're there to keep others out. :D Especially out of the hay fields in the early summer.

I have a Zabera Yellow Jacket unit that has been great for setting up temporary pastures, for the long runs I use a Parmak unit. The Parmak is hotter than the doors to He!!, just takes one lesson, this one is also on my bull pen.

The primary solar unit we use for small jobs is the Stafix SX. This is a modular unit with internal battery. It will keep about a mile of two-wire hi-tensile hot and we'll run three reels of polybraid off the hard wire. When I have tried to go over a mile with it, it won't keep it hot enough.

We also use Pro-Jolt 2 joule. This one has a battery case for regular 12v car battery and a mounted 10w solar panel. The 10w is enough in summer but is a little weak for winter use. Optional 18w panel would be better. This one will run 2-3 miles of hard wire and we have had as many as six 1/4 mile poly reels running off the hard wire.

Anywhere I can, I still prefer to use 110v. Up on the mountain we don't have much choice besides the solar.

I know guys using Stafix x6i with 60 watts of solar panel support running upwards of 10 miles through really rough country.

Ultimately, it all comes down to voltage. Voltage/Resistance = Current. It's the current that causes the cow to run away. The cow forms it's own circuit when it touches the wire.

When you see the term "Low impedence" - that doesn't imply anything other than the charger's ability to source current at a given voltage.
All else being equal, it's the high voltage you care about. That drives everything. Think of it as pressure.

NOTE: You can have extremely low output impedence but only 100volts. That will blow an audio speaker but the cow won't even notice it.

Caustic Burno":323pmppy said:
I have a Zabera Yellow Jacket unit that has been great for setting up temporary pastures, for the long runs I use a Parmak unit. The Parmak is hotter than the doors to He!!, just takes one lesson, this one is also on my bull pen.

Which model Parmak is it CB?

spoon":3a035mta said:
Caustic Burno":3a035mta said:

I don't know I will look tomorrow as I am working down in the bull lot.

Caustic Burno":rcorbz81 said:
spoon":rcorbz81 said:
Caustic Burno":rcorbz81 said:

I don't know I will look tomorrow as I am working down in the bull lot.

parmak mag12sp is a 12 volt and will knock your ---- in the dirt
parmak df-sp-li is a 6 volt but not very hot(cheaper)
s250 speedrite will save you some money also
it's a 12 volt and i don't own one but i hear good things about them

tncattle":2t7bdy8n said:
Just man up lick your finger and see if it works!

I have two Parmak solatr charger. One 6 volt and one 12 volt. The 12 volt is a 12 mag like CB's. The 6 volt works for interior fencing but the 12 volt is a lot hotter. I have ran the 6 volt every summer for 5 years with no problems. I am satified with both but if I were to buy another it would be the 12 mag.

Latest posts