Soil testing

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39

Reaction score
Do you soil test with the Extension service/private lab or do it yourself?

Why?

What brand of unit do you have and would you recommend it for ph and macro nutrient testing?

I have used a private testing lab (A&L Labs) and Texas A&M University. Both provide prompt turn around and (I hope) accurate results. A&L is a little more expensive @ $25/sample for the type of tests I want run.

I usually take a sample at 3-4 per acre at a depth of 10 to 12 inches, mix all the samples together and remove enough soil to fill one of their sample bags (about a pint). They usually get the results back to me within 7 working days.

I run hundreds of samples per year through A&L. They have 7 or 8 labs around the country. Mine go to their lab in California. You can either have it tested for certain elements or get what we refer to as the full meal deal. We get more information for a cheaper price using the full meal deal. I get samples run for less than Earl but that is because of the volume we run.
We use to do the testing ourselves and we tried other but we have used A&L for about 5 years now. They seem to work best for us.
Dave

Latest posts