so, she calved, and....

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
it's a real nice little black bull calf. Born in 45 minutes and on his feet in 30 minutes.

View attachment 1

And I have NO idea where he came from because he is NOT what I was expecting. :shock:

The cow is half angus, half holstein.

This is who I thought I bred her to...

The calf was supposed to be 3/4 Holstein and a HEIFER, since I used sexed semen. I'm about 99% certain this BULL calf is not out of that breeding, and I'd really like to know what happened. I'm not really mad about it, since he is a nice calf and chances are his sire is some high dollar angus bull that was in the tank at the vet clinic, and the tech accidently grabbed the wrong straw, but I would like an explanation for this calf.

It certainly looks like there was an etheopian in the fuel supply.

I got caught up in waiting on this heifer to calve based on the threads.Glad to hear all went well.

alot depends on how much you gave for that sexed hol semen costs.wich makes me wonder who got your hol sexed semen.they sure are gonna be in shock when their cow calves.

Better yet "Good eye sight or good eye glasses are grand". Tell the "Tech" to check those straws a bit closer.

dun":3cwmgy12 said:

Yessir. I think you nailed it. MM has a cow that slipped around. :shock:

Calf looks healthy. Cow looks healthy and she looks like she is welcoming the responsibility of loving on the little guy. A win/win situation in my book. They are never exactly what you want but some are much better than others. He looks like he would market well when the time comes. Congratulations MM.

Earl Thigpen":2es5oj4g said:
dun":2es5oj4g said:

Way to go, Dun. You cleaned that one real nice. I was tryin to figure how to say that.

Not an original. The credit goes to W.C. Fields

I've enjoyed following MM's thread and anticipation. I have also enjoyed many other posts on these boards and don't want to think there is an undercurrent of racism in some of these "humorous" replies.

Congratulations on the healthy calf - finally.

What would be an interesting followup is the "mixup" in sexed semen - or is "sexed" semen even a reliable option?

Who knows :? :? Healthy calf, good mother, Heck I would take it. :nod: :nod:

Congrats on a nice healthy calf.

I guess a DNA test is in order, at the least you should get your money back on the semen.

TB -- LOL, I know it. At least this lil guy is worth something. 311's calf I'm only keeping because it seems stupid to sell him for $10, and she likes him. :lol2:

bigbull -- now that's a humorous thought! However, I paid $45/straw for that sexed semen so I want an explanation for where the missing straw went, or if it's even missing.

Angus in Texas -- nothing against angus cattle, LOL, but I would much rather have had the Holstein heifer anyday; it's an enormous economical difference. Like a $1000 difference at selling time between what this calf'll bring and what a Holstein springer would bring. Ah well. A live healthy calf is pretty valuable right there.

Have to wonder if the semen itself was mislabeled, or if the tech pulled out the wrong straw by accident. :???:

Anyway, I'm glad to have this heifer calved out; I've got two calves that have been waiting for her for 3 weeks. :lol2: :p

Well once you said she was leaking ,you new it was soon.

Congrats, both are looking good and I would definitely do the DNA. Just to be sure and then you know who to watch the next time you use sexed semen ,or any semen. ;-)

45 dollars for sexed semen is still a bargain ,even young sires are around that price here. The best thing is that you got a healthy calf and a mom who is in love with her new baby.. :)

Latest posts