so called holidays

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Anyone else just sick of all this advertisement for all these so called holidays? Valentines Day, presidents Day, I think they went way overboard on the Tax commercials this year as well-seems society is celebrating the dumbest stuff anymore-
I bet on Friday when I go shopping at walmart-the valetines day stuff will be replaced with bunnies and peeps-and thats not until April-

Do what I do.. send your wife to Wally World, then u dont have to look at all that stuff...

It is only February and I have been to Wally world once this year already. That's depressing!

I haven't been to Wally World in years. Have no plans to go any time in the future. In fact I drive by one every day on my way home from work and I don't even look that direction.

GMN":3cr3w3gp said:
Anyone else just sick of all this advertisement for all these so called holidays? Valentines Day, presidents Day, I think they went way overboard on the Tax commercials this year as well-seems society is celebrating the dumbest stuff anymore-
I bet on Friday when I go shopping at walmart-the valetines day stuff will be replaced with bunnies and peeps-and thats not until April-
Geez your running late....it was already out on the 12th.

I love how Valentines is always a "made up holiday" :roll: I guess Christmas and Easter are too then.

FarmGirl10":1zdp6rlf said:
I love how Valentines is always a "made up holiday" :roll: I guess Christmas and Easter are too then.
It doesn't count as a real Holliday unless I get off work. Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th, Memorial Day, and New Years Day. Easter of course is an exception, and any days I get off work I forgot about.

FarmGirl10":3vaslpq4 said:

It is made up for MEN to spend money.

I don't have the link handy, but read the other day that on average, a man would spend $107 on Valentine's Day, while a woman, again on average, would spend $46.

Most of the VD cards are for the men to give their wives, girlfriends, etc. I only spent about $10 this year (don't worry, as soon as we get some funds we are going out to eat). The wife spent probably $4.

GMN":1r1f0ps5 said:
Valentines day is not a holiday. Just a special day for people to exchange gifts of love. Goes back over 300 years in the US and almost to 1st century in other cultures. President Day as I recall is a combination fo the birthdays of Washington and Lincoln. I could be wrong. Two pretty good presidents to honor tho. Beats teh he77 out of MLK day which is a national holiday for "some".

It actually happens to be a religious holiday. Look up any of the 3 Saint Valentines and you will understand why its a holiday.

FarmGirl10":2lyrgg4v said:
It actually happens to be a religious holiday. Look up any of the 3 Saint Valentines and you will understand why its a holiday.
It is not recognized with an official feast day by my church although they are recognized. There were apparently 3 or more of them with the same name in history but not that much known other than all three died for refusing to turn against the Christian faith. I have no idea what other churches might reocgnize them. It doesn't matter. I still buy my wife flowers and take her out to eat.

I have no problem with someone celebrating Valentine's Day as they see fit. The wife and I don't. We actually say the words "I love you" to each other every day of the year, usually many times. We also show our love for each other in ways that superficial things like candy and flowers couldn't begin to touch. We don't feel obligated to spend money to reinforce something that's already a given. Heck, if I bought her something for Valentine's Day she'd probably think I had something to hide. :D

VanC":1scyyiz3 said:
I have no problem with someone celebrating Valentine's Day as they see fit. The wife and I don't. We actually say the words "I love you" to each other every day of the year, usually many times. We also show our love for each other in ways that superficial things like candy and flowers couldn't begin to touch. We don't feel obligated to spend money to reinforce something that's already a given. Heck, if I bought her something for Valentine's Day she'd probably think I had something to hide. :D

Heck you don't ahve to wait until Valentines Day.....send her flowers or bring them and attack a note "just for the heck of it". ;-)

VanC":23yxw9bs said:

Now, treat new years, xmas, easter, thanksgiving, martin luther king day, presidents day, mothers day, fathers day and all the other holidays the same way and you'll be a roll! It's a wonder we have a dime left to spend after all these "days".

Latest posts