SNOW!

Help Support CattleToday:

SirLoin

Reaction score
Anyone else getting nailed by the big storm? Here in central Delaware we've gotten hit pretty hard and it's still blasting! We've got about a foot on the ground with drifts to about 4'. I'm from New England originally, so I'm used to this, but the locals panic :roll: . I put extra hay out in the run-ins last night and opened up the main barn. The storm was blowing out of the east and right into my shelters. My blacks were white when I fed them this a.m. :mrgreen: I gave them a double ration of grain. Nothing left to do but sit back and eat that big pot of beef stew on the stove with some fresh homemade french bread :D

SirLoin":1h5u2g1e said:
Anyone else getting nailed by the big storm? Here in central Delaware we've gotten hit pretty hard and it's still blasting! We've got about a foot on the ground with drifts to about 4'. I'm from New England originally, so I'm used to this, but the locals panic :roll: . I put extra hay out in the run-ins last night and opened up the main barn. The storm was blowing out of the east and right into my shelters. My blacks were white when I fed them this a.m. :mrgreen: I gave them a double ration of grain. Nothing left to do but sit back and eat that big pot of beef stew on the stove with some fresh homemade french bread :D

Ooooo Wheeeee! Man... got any left-overs? I'm comming over there for lunch! :nod:

Good call on stocking up on the cow feed BEFORE the storm!!!!

I know what you mean by people panicing over a winter storm. I hate to sound politically incorrect, but for me, I've noticed around here that people who live within city limits have lost their ability to cope with mother nature. The first snow storm here this winter, people were wrecking their cars left and right, insted of planning ahead, driving slow, or just staying home. :dunce:

I regularly deliver small square bales of wheat straw to a local feed & seed store, and people won't ever buy the straw the night before the forcasters are calling for a blizzard, noooo... they wait untill 10:00 am the next day and they look outside and they can't see their poor dogs outside burried under the snow before they decide to buy some dog house bedding. :dunce: :dunce:

OK.... I'm off my rant now. :compute:

ToddFarmsInc":22h5oeii said:
... they wait untill 10:00 am the next day and they look outside and they can't see their poor dogs outside burried under the snow before they decide to buy some dog house bedding. :dunce: :dunce:

OK.... I'm off my rant now. :compute:

Evidently, nobody told them what to do.

We ended up with 20" and drifts to 5 feet. No snow plows have made it down either of the two roads my corner is on. There is a five foot drift right at the end of my drive in the road. There are three four wheel drives stuck on the other road within 300' of the intersection. I work for the State (DOT) and the Gov. says we all have to make it to work this morning :lol: I've plowed out down to about 20' from the road. I'm thinking about ramming my old P.U. down the lane and into the drift, and then calling my boss at DELDOT and telling them I got stuck in the road and the plows can't get by and I can't get to work until they do. It will be a great way to get that last bit of snow out, and keep me from having to replow when the state plow finally gets here. I'll take pics if I do :mrgreen: I'll bet you 1000$ that the Governor does not drive down to Dover from Wilmington.............typical of our ruling elitist party these days.....rules are for everyone else but them.

anyways
My cattle are still wandering around the pasture in a daze. The longhorn cross is pawing the ground trying to graze. They still don't know what to think of the snow. I got to get out sometime soon because I'm low on grain. I can take the tractor if necessary.

I read where there were at least 5 deaths from this storm. I hope everyone else made out OK

SirLoin said:
We ended up with 20" and drifts to 5 feet. No snow plows have made it down either of the two roads my corner is on. There is a five foot drift right at the end of my drive in the road. There are three four wheel drives stuck on the other road within 300' of the intersection.

Some think because it's a 4WD it will go through anything and when they get stuck they do a very good job of it.

Cal

Latest posts