Snow

Help Support CattleToday:

Greatest November and 1st half of December ever. Still very mild, a good 20 degrees warmer than last year. About 8 inches on the ground right now. Should be a good foot by Wednesday. Easy on the wood pile and makes the winter much shorter. Absolutely no frost in the ground though. Had gravel brought in last week in prep for next year's projects and had to cut the loads down from 18 yards to 12 yards.

We had a cold spell around the beginning of the month... then it warmed up, we had a skiff of snow, nothing to speak of though.. cows are still grazing, and if the snow holds off I'm definitely good until christmas, perhaps even new years... which would be a first for us... The higher elevations here have been getting snow, so thats good for the water supply next year... it's currently about -4C (25F) which is about perfect.. corrals where the heifers live stays clean, cows can still graze

I have between alternating between rain and wind one day and wind and rain the next. I am close enough to sea level that I haven't had snow but the storms have sure been rolling through one after another. The river has been at the top or over the top of its banks for the last 4 weeks. And there are a couple more storms coming out of the Gulf of Alaska headed this way now.

I wormed (what I had left) in the end of September. Flies are back out of control as if this was summer. We have had a few light frosts but nothing to knock back the parasites. Its been wet. Water seeping out of the hills in places it hasn't been seeping for years and years. I expect ring worm issues will be major in the spring.

Sounds like it is close to the same all over basicly warmer than usual. We will have to adapt.Everyone have a Merry Christmas and we will see what we get in the New Year :banana:

This is bizarre weather for sure. Past 2 years we have been under feet of cold for 5-6 weeks already, with bitter temps. This year we have not had a flake, just rain and rain. Going up in the 60's for Christmas Day supposedly. :shock:
It does make me worry about the lack of snowmelt in the spring.
And since we have never dealt with this amount of mud everywhere for this long, I am very worried about the hoof situation. They are standing in mud 24/7. A foot or more deep in some places. How bad is that? How worried should I be? Hopefully things will freeze up in the next few weeks finally (never thought I'd hear myself say that, after last year's brutal weather).

boondocks said:
This is bizarre weather for sure. Past 2 years we have been under feet of cold for 5-6 weeks already, with bitter temps. This year we have not had a flake, just rain and rain. Going up in the 60's for Christmas Day supposedly. :shock:
And since we have never dealt with this amount of mud everywhere for this long, I am very worried about the hoof situation. They are standing in mud 24/7. A foot or more deep in some places. How bad is that? How worried should I be? Hopefully things will freeze up in the next few weeks finally (never thought I'd hear myself say that, after last year's brutal weather).[/quoteII
Add iodine to their mineral. I put a pound to 50 pounds.

animals with bad genes for hooves may develop problems.. ones with good genes in my experience can stand in mud for 3 months and not have any trouble at all

jedstivers":14gyddid said:
boondocks":14gyddid said:
And since we have never dealt with this amount of mud everywhere for this long, I am very worried about the hoof situation. They are standing in mud 24/7. A foot or more deep in some places. How bad is that? How worried should I be? Hopefully things will freeze up in the next few weeks finally (never thought I'd hear myself say that, after last year's brutal weather).[/quoteII
Add iodine to their mineral. I put a pound to 50 pounds.
Iodine salt blocks will help some and if you can get a feed mill to sell you some Zinpro-40 or Zinpro 100 it helps harden hoofs and maintain hoof health. Add about two pounds to each bag of mineral.

boondocks":1uptmppl said:
And since we have never dealt with this amount of mud everywhere for this long, I am very worried about the hoof situation. They are standing in mud 24/7. A foot or more deep in some places. How bad is that? How worried should I be? Hopefully things will freeze up in the next few weeks finally (never thought I'd hear myself say that, after last year's brutal weather).
Copper will help also, make sure they are getting enough in minerals.

Definitely way too wet and fairly warm here as well. Not complaining about the warmth. Saving on hay but it sure is getting hard to get around.
I haven't looked but wife told me tonight, that all this will change early next week.

We're going to ave a White Christmas! It is snowing and no wind. Finally froze last night before it started snowing today. Cows were walking on top of most places now not sloshing thru it. Sure is pretty.