Snakes

Help Support CattleToday:

Travis Bryan

Reaction score
I don't know whats going on but we have killed 8 6foot+ bull snakes in the last two weeks, in and around the chicken pens. Not to mention three that got run over on the road we live on. Just wondering if anybody else is having trouble with them.

Not a snake lover here but bull and black snakes get left alone around my place. They help to keep the rat and mice population in check. The cats seem to do a good job though of keeping them away from the house but we still find them in the yard from time to time.

If they were around your coop they were most likley either looking for an egg, chick, or mice feeding on leftovers from the chickens. Don't think they could/would go after a full grown hen.

I don't think anythings moving much around here except for the ticks as it's gotten so dang hot and dry.

J

Only Snake I'd ever kill would be a poisonous one. They're too valuable for Rodent control. Wish we had some here big enough to eat stray cats.

Crowderfarms":3m9pye9u said:
Only Snake I'd ever kill would be a poisonous one. They're too valuable for Rodent control. Wish we had some here big enough to eat stray cats.

Crowder, be careful what you wish for! I got this picture today.

The attached picture is a Rattler found at a coal company in Clay County, Ky. (Manchester area) last week. It weighed 114 pounds.

I think that this would handle most kittys! :shock:
Rattlesnake1.bmp

;-)

TLC, I've run across some big Rattlers before, but that one takes the cake. Like I said I'd kill any poisonous Snake. Where'd you find that picture?

Crowder, a friend of mine from N.W. Alabama sent it to me today. Don't know if it really weighed 100+ lbs. but it's a huge snake isn't it!

;-)

TLCfromARK":2hdoqc6q said:
Crowder, a friend of mine from N.W. Alabama sent it to me today. Don't know if it really weighed 100+ lbs. but it's a huge snake isn't it!

;-)
Sure it's got to be close to a record. This hot dry weather is sure to bring out snakes around here. Been seeing a few killed on the roads lately. Guess if you ran that big boy over, it'd be like hitting a speed bump! thanks for sharing it with us.

Thats one huge rattlesnake. I have never saw one that big. I have saw a huge copperhead here. Most of the rattlesnakes here don't get that big.

Got in bed last night and remembered I left the charger unplugged from the electric fence at the barn after some repair work. Got out of bed, pulled on my boots and hat and headed for the barn, approx. 150 yrds from the house. I have a well worn path so normally when going to the barn in the dark I just follow the dark path. For some reason I grabbed the flashlight on my way out. As I was crossing a treed gulley I noticed a stick laying in the path and would have normally just stepped on it or kicked it out of the way. But having the light, I shined it on the stick to pick it up, except as you probably guessed it was not a stick but a good size copperhead. Nowhere as big as the rattler, but certainly got my attention. Being only in my underware and boots, I decided to head to the barn for a shovel. Once I got back it was gone. Oh well, I'm sure the kids will find him, they normally play around that area.

Hope your kids don't get bit-copper heads don't give a warning like rattlers do. I got bit in the palm of the hand when I was a kid getting some loose hay out of the barn for a chicken coop.

Big snake but it ain't close to 100#. That guy couldn't bold it upthe way he is. A 100# rattler would have 8 inches between his eyes. We never kill king's or black racers. They kill copperheads and rattlers let alone the rats and mice. I got my a** kicked for killing a black racer in Daddys barn when I was a kid.