Smokes on top

Help Support CattleToday:

CSM

Reaction score
Bluegrass Stockyards December 8th CPH45 Graded feeder calf sale. All cattle are weaned, vaccinated, etc

Black Steers avg 517 lbs @ 133.75
Smoke Steers avg 520 lbs @ 134.00

Black Steers avg 603 lbs @ 121.75
Smoke Steers avg 595 lbs @ 123.75

Black Heifers avg 515 lbs @ 112.70
Smoke Heifers avg 515 @ 114.50

Black Heifers avg 598 lbs @ 111.00
Smoke Heifers avg 593 lbs @ 111.50

All we ever here in this area is black cattle sale better, but the market says different every week. If the cattle are of equal quality, the smokes will do equal to or better than the blacks. Some of the black sold better this night and some of the Charolais crossed calves sold better. Point is, they do not have to be black to get the premium prices.

CSM

Calves here were about $.20higher than you folks and smokies sold $.20 lower than blks and good reds.

I sold 2 550lb avg cull bulls one red and one blk for $1.43. They had both been banded and were all va'ccd

CSM":3e2mc5ys said:
All we ever here in this area is black cattle sale better, but the market says different every week. If the cattle are of equal quality, the smokes will do equal to or better than the blacks. Some of the black sold better this night and some of the Charolais crossed calves sold better. Point is, they do not have to be black to get the premium prices.

CSM
the smokes were BLACK influenced

Angus Cowman":3feavc8i said:
CSM":3feavc8i said:

CSM
the smokes were BLACK influenced

Influenced is the key word. Perhaps the stockyards are finally starting to recognize (with dollars) that the current monoculture is less profitable. And by being one of the few breeds that hasn't turned itself black (there are a few but they are the minority) Charolais have maintained the ability to stamp themselves on the crossbreds. So they have free advertising, immediate buyer recognition that we have a hybrid (and the vigor) present. Ask our Canadian friends how well buckskins sell.

Gives me hope that I might be able to put a little chrome on my Simmi's again in the future. :mrgreen:

VanC":34new4ml said:
The last three sales I've been to around here the yellows and yellow white-faces have outsold anything else.

You oughta take a feedlot tour thru Neb, and KS. The feedlots are loaded with them.

3waycross":3svr4y27 said:
VanC":3svr4y27 said:
The last three sales I've been to around here the yellows and yellow white-faces have outsold anything else.

You oughta take a feedlot tour thru Neb, and KS. The feedlots are loaded with them.

Never been through Kansas but I've been through Iowa and Nebraska on I-80 a couple of times. Those feedlots sure are a sight to behold. Didn't pay much attention to the colors, though, but if there's a next time I will.

Back in our Charolais days we ran lots of smoky cows-if you made them with the right genetics they were tough to beat.

Northern Rancher":2ij0em79 said:
Back in our Charolais days we ran lots of smoky cows-if you made them with the right genetics they were tough to beat.
musta been during the 80's ...lotsa smokey cows around here then

VanC":1kjjjbpi said:
When I ran a Hereford bull, the yellow calves off of my Charolais cow brought right up there with the blacks, black baldies,and smokes. I will have a Charolais bull this time next year for my mostly Hereford and Hereford cross cows.