Smoke

Help Support CattleToday:

Logan52

Reaction score
This has been the worst summer in my memory for haze and gray skies. The bright blue summer skies we normally experience have disappeared and the sky resembles that more often seen in Louisville or Cincinnati.
They say it is due to fires in the boreal forests of Canada.
I wonder if you are taking any precautions for your own health or that of your livestock. Myself, I am prone to take it easy on most any hot and humid day. Seems like I have another excuse this year.

As many know i was a Wildland Firefighter for 48 years with 38 of those being full time. Imagine being right beside those fires and how the smoke was. Neither the state nor federal forestry agencies would ever admit that the smoke could cause health problems because they would have to do something to help protect the workers. They wouldn't even buy us a mask because they said it didnt matter.
Now that its effecting pretty much most of the US east of the Mississippi they are giving health warnings.

FB_IMG_1684776493681.jpg

So far we've had a pretty smoke free summer here, guess it's the luck of the winds

2021 was really bad, we had 3 fires over 100,000 acres within 50 miles and smaller ones as well, we're the blue dot
2021 fire map.JPG

IMG_4264s.jpg

that's the sun
IMG_3895s.jpg

Do the masks evreyone was wearing for the disease we are not allowed to mention in 2020-21 help at all for reducing smoke inhalation? I was just wondering as if anyone had any left it would mean they might actually be of some use for something for once

For smoke or for the disease we are not allowed to mention? I feel for the former they might be more effective.
I'm not sure the science on it but when we do burns I wear cut up t-shirts or handkerchiefs over my face. Wetting them helps, also. It helps me with heat and smoke and I can definitely tell a difference.

Latest posts